Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Dialogue on the phone

French
French Member Posts: 445
100 Comments Second Anniversary
- Put me through to your caregiver, I'd like to talk to her (she's near him, I can see her in the camera)
- yes, I should do that 
- well, put me through to her
- what are you doing?
- I'm listening to you 
- I asked you to give the phone to your caregiver 
- Who is she?
- the care assistant who is next to you
- which button should I press, the red one?
- no, you give her the telephone receiver 
- ah yes, I have to do that
- Then do it
- you did what? 
- it's Jean François 

Last week he told me he was in the train

Yesterday it was word salad

Most often he begins a sentence but can’t find a word, then he certainly forgets what he wanted to say and then switch to his favorite « they are so kind here »

The decline in speaking is very rapid. I fear that in two months I won’t be able to communicate with him by phone 

Comments

• abc123
    abc123 Member Posts: 1,171
    Seventh Anniversary 1000 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes
    Dear French, I'm so sorry this happening to you and to him. I know how hard this is. My mom doesn't talk anymore but some days she can say NO! She will blink her eyes for my dad. That means yes she loves him. She can only eat baby food now. I understand how it feels when our LO's lose the ability to do something. It hurts. French, you are an inspiration to us. We care about you and your partner!
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    French, I'm sorry. We're not as far along, but I can see us getting there before long. She has no trouble pronouncing words, just finding the right words to get her point across. Part of the time I have no idea what she's trying to say. It's tough for all of us here.
  • JoseyWales
    JoseyWales Member Posts: 602
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Hi French - Just thinking of you today. 

If you have time and you'd like, I'd like to hear an update about how you and your partner are doing. 

• Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

Dear French, I had been thinking of you and wondering how you were doing.   I am so very sorry for the changes that are occurring; it is a heartfelt time for which there are no answers.

Please take good care of yourself; you are doing the best you can under the circumstances.  Please keep in touch and let us know how you are.

Best wishes and warmest of thoughts being sent across the ocean to you,

J.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,722
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    French I have been thinking about you too, hope you are doing okay.  Worries me that we haven't heard from you.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more