Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Depression or Alzheimer’s?

Do you think when they stop playing games, reading magazines and watching favorite shows it is depression or Alz?

Comments

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Just a guess, but I think if it were depression, you would see it in other things. If there are no other signs of depression, it is likely dementia.
  • Stuck in the middle
    Stuck in the middle Member Posts: 1,167
    1000 Comments Fifth Anniversary 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

I think dementia.  My wife isn't depressed, but she can no longer follow the story in an episode of Mystery or Masterpiece, nor can she solve sudoku puzzles without the answer sheet.

Depression can affect the ability to concentrate, but dementia surely does.

Your LO may have both depression and dementia, but depression should have other signs in addition to limited concentration.

• Jeff86
    Jeff86 Member Posts: 684
    Fourth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes
    Apathy is not uncommon as AD progresses, so along with losing the ability to concentrate there could simply be the loss of interest.
  • Memphisdee
    Memphisdee Member Posts: 64
    10 Comments Second Anniversary
    Thanks everyone, I think it is apathy!
  • Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,406
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions
    In my Mom’s case, antidepressants helped.  Her cognitive function seems better, and her anxiety is much less.  I still see some apathy though too.
  • Brigv
    Brigv Member Posts: 15
    10 Comments First Anniversary
    Quilting brings calm wrote:
    In my Mom’s case, antidepressants helped.  Her cognitive function seems better, and her anxiety is much less.  I still see some apathy though too.

Thanks for sharing your experience. My Dad is currently experiencing something like depression (or dementia). I read that the best way to understand is to pay attention to a person's memory. People who are depressed may have trouble concentrating, and they may have occasional lapses in memory, which can make their mood worse. And people with Alzheimer's have consistent problems storing new information, such as a recent visit with a close relative or what they ate for dinner. I guess I'll read about antidepressants on the Canada Drugs site https://www.canadadrugsdirect.com/ (usually, I check descriptions there) and talk to a doctor about my Dad's case. 

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,764
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    Decline/apathy/depression...could be all of them. How about talking to the Dr and trying a small dose of an antidepressent. Often that helps.
  • ChHodge
    ChHodge Member Posts: 9
    First Comment First Anniversary
    Yeah, it sounds like apathy to me too. But the best way is to ask dr asap.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more