Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

DH w/Alz. Mirrors hurt dog

I thought between this forum and my IRL support groups and first-hand experience, I’d heard a lot. Not this. It may be amusing for some (it should be except Alzheimer’s), and maybe a caution? for others. At least, just FYI Re: dog.

Sunday our little poodle (15-16 yo, rescued maybe 5-6 years ago) started limping, and unable to use a hind leg. Limp was bad, then it got better. Then bad, then better. And so on, except it got worse and lasted longer. DH is distraught. He dotes on her.

Monday she was much worse, not eating. I take her to the vet,  x-rays etc. . And this vet noticed, as did others before, her noticeable “pot belly” which I had attributed to age, less exercise, and more snacks. But that belly, and couple other things, raised red flags. Extensive blood work done., Cushings likely (like people, including me, for decades).

All that took 3 hours. Got home, DH is very anxious. And danggit, I was telling myself DO NOT SAY MUCH, keep it simple…i thought I was being basic, but obviously not. 

Since then, until now, DH is limping, and holding his foot up—as much as he can, while holding on to something. He says his leg hurts. I caught him trying to open the bottle of dogs liquid pain meds (I hid the pills, but liquid was first and hardest to give/hide process) 

He keeps asking me about his own belly—is it big, it feels sick, etc. “Is her  belly worse  than mine?” “Will my belly get like hers?” “My belly hurts too”. (No sign of belly pain from dog/cushings) 

He is absolutely doing or mirroring whatever/everything going on with the dog. I’m thinking after Seroquel and a good nights sleep he’ll forget ?? I thought he’d forget overnight last night too…

The dog, meanwhile, is much better.

Comments

• Stuck in the middle
    Stuck in the middle Member Posts: 1,167
    1000 Comments Fifth Anniversary 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes
    I'm glad the dog is better.  Maybe he will mirror that too.
  • Pam BH
    Pam BH Member Posts: 195
    100 Comments Second Anniversary
    Oh, my! This really is a new one!  I'm glad the dog is better and like Stuck I hope he mirrors the dog now
  • Rescue mom
    Rescue mom Member Posts: 988
    500 Comments Fourth Anniversary 5 Likes

Small update…Dog, and DH, seemed back to normal this morning UNTIL….dog got away from me and jumped off the sofa, which ((Re) hurt her leg. Now she’s limping again and so is DH (who was walking just fine earlier, until he saw her).

Then he “caught” me trying to give dog her medicine. I thought he was out of sight for a moment. Nope. Now he wants the medicine too, again.

Kinda what M1 said elsewhere…just when you think you have things somewhat under control (considering), something is going to happen.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    RM. I'm sorry about your dog, and I'm sorry your DH is mimicking the dog. That has to make it a lot harder for you. Let's hope they find something that can be treated successfully.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more