Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Taking LO off medication??

Scooterr
Scooterr Member Posts: 168
100 Comments Second Anniversary 5 Likes

My DW has been on Namenda and Aricept since 2019, the first few years the medication seemed to be working, now it seems not to be working at all. I just don't know. Has anyone had a LO taken off these medications? If so was there any side affects, was there a drastic decline, was there no change, did the doctor wean them off, and  did they have to go back on the medication, or can they go back on it.

We went to our primary care doctor last week and I asked him about taking DW off these med's and what may happen if we did? He explained to us, "I'm unable to answer the question, but if it's not hurting anything right now why stop, and this would be a question for her Neurologist." 

In two weeks we have an appointment with DW Neurologist where I will propose these question to her. I'm just hoping for some information from anyone who has been down this road already, so I'll know what to expect. I'm just worried about the long term effect of the medication verses the AL.

Comments

• Battlebuddy
    Battlebuddy Member Posts: 331
    100 Comments Third Anniversary 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes
    Hospice took husband off those meds. Saw no difference
  • Rescue mom
    Rescue mom Member Posts: 988
    500 Comments Fourth Anniversary 5 Likes

My DH took both for about 14-16 months. He had no negative side effects. He did continue to decline, maybe he would have declined faster without it? No way of knowing. 

We stopped them when taking any/all meds became a problem and/or a fight. I hear, and read, a lot that they wear off, or don’t work at any level, after 1-2 years. No problems resulted from stopping them. I can’t recall if there was any “weaning” or gradual reduction of those 2, but I don’t think so. 

My attitude at the start was, they might help, they didn’t hurt him (some people see bad side effects), and we could afford it. When they became a problem we stopped them. Made no difference either way that anyone could see.

• Marie58
    Marie58 Member Posts: 382
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments
    DH took both for over 4 years. It didn't seem to hurt him but there's no way to know if it helped. Namenda became very expensive due to insurance changes and it probably wasn't helping anymore, so we stopped that first. Then we stopped Aricept shortly after that. I don't think he was weaned off. No changes in behavior, confusion, etc when we stopped.
  • Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

The medication may enable the PWD to remain at home in the community, thus delaying placement into a facility.  If he is still continent,, you might consider to continue.  You might think of them as a tool in your arsenal of care.  Memantine is generic for Namenta and is inexpensive.  I pay $20 per month.  I cannot speak about Aricept.

Iris

• Jeff86
    Jeff86 Member Posts: 684
    Fourth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

DW has been taking both for five years.  

Impossible to say what benefit if any there has been as we can’t know the counterfactual—if progression would have been faster had she not been on them.  Only side effect has been a runny nose. 

I asked DW’s neurologist about stopping them.  She recommended continuing the meds, absent significant side effects, as in her clinical experience PWDs going off these meds often experienced a notable cognitive decline following cessation.   Just one opinion.  

• Gig Harbor
    Gig Harbor Member Posts: 564
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes
    My husband started namenda and aricept in 2016. Only side effect is a runny nose. I will keep him on them because he takes meds willingly and they may be helping him function better. He needs all the help he can get.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more