Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Stopped taking pills

Husband has stopped taking all his pills for 2 days. He has dementia and bipolar drugs. I’ve told him dr said he will go to hospital if he quits taking his pills. Any other ideas?

Comments

• abc123
    abc123 Member Posts: 1,171
    Seventh Anniversary 1000 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes
    We now crush mom's pills and give them to her in baby food. We don't discuss it, we just do it. Check with the pharmacist to make sure his meds can be crushed. Good luck!
  • JoseyWales
    JoseyWales Member Posts: 602
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes

I had to start crushing DHs medicine in pudding and applesauce. It started because the new meds he was on was just too big for him to get down, but I quickly realized how much easier it was to get him to take the pills when they were crushed and hidden.

• abc123
    abc123 Member Posts: 1,171
    Seventh Anniversary 1000 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

Hello Dee, I'm just checking in to see if you have found a solution for his meds, especially the ones to treat the bi-polar condition. Josey brought up something I had forgotten about, the size of some meds! Momma had a UTI once and the antibiotics were ridiculously large even after breaking them in half.

I use a heavy drinking glass to crush the pills. I put the pills on a thin paper plate and roll the glass back and forth over the pills until they are powder like. Then add the powder to something sweet that she likes to eat.  The night time sitter actually used a small hammer. She'd put the pills between two paper plates. Let us know what works for you. Good luck.

• Stuck in the middle
    Stuck in the middle Member Posts: 1,167
    1000 Comments Fifth Anniversary 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes
    I bought a pill cutter at the drug store, and I think they had pill crushers as well.
  • Jeff86
    Jeff86 Member Posts: 684
    Fourth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes
    DW refused to take any pills several years ago. Rather than confront the opposition—even pre-AD, DW was strong-willed—I bought a pill crusher and now stir the medications into yogurt or applesauce.  DW is none the wiser.  Easy peasy.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more