Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

decreasing memory

JJ401
JJ401 Member Posts: 312
Sixth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

I know DH’s short term memory has been getting worse. Today though it really hit home.

My nephew and his wife came to visit. First time we have seen them since 12/19. They were here almost four hours. I dug out the good china and we enjoyed a nice meal. About an hour after they left, DH asks if I want to go out to eat. I say that I‘ll fix him something, but I’m still full from the meal we ate with nephew and wife. He then says he does not remember them being here.

This is the first time something not usual happened and he forgot immediately. I knew this type of loss would come, but it still hurts when it arrives.

Comments

• Care4Mom2
    Care4Mom2 Member Posts: 42
    Fifth Anniversary 10 Comments
    That is sad to hear. I was recently told that my DH probably has early Alzheimer’s. I don’t know what to expect or when things are going to get worse… I wonder when he will do the same thing as your husband. I just posted something on this forum, looking for answers. I feel for you.
  • Gig Harbor
    Gig Harbor Member Posts: 564
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes
    My husband first did that about three years ago and it shocked me because I did not realize he was that bad. Fast forward to now and he doesn’t remember dinners or company within minutes of the guests leaving. He truly lives in the moment. He is good at hiding it because he often just smiles and nods his head if I talk about events.
  • sunshine5
    sunshine5 Member Posts: 148
    Second Anniversary 10 Comments

DH has mild dementia.

Yesterday, I showed him pictures of my sister and family on iPhone and discussed who the people in the picture were.

Today, he tells me emphasizing that I was going to show him the picture but never did! He even goes to say that I have memory problems !

At first, I try to remind him that I showed him the pictures, later I stopped when i realized, he truly doesn’t remember! No point convincing him !

I have to accept that he truly has Dementia/ Alzheimer’s even though he may never accept that he has any memory problems !

• Bob in LW
    Bob in LW Member Posts: 91
    Second Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Care Reactions
    JJ401 wrote:

This is the first time something not usual happened and he forgot immediately. I knew this type of loss would come, but it still hurts when it arrives.

My SO has the same problem with her short-term memory, and yes, it does get worse. Recently, we went on a whale watching trip which we had been anticipating for weeks.  We spent most of the day at the harbor, several hours on the boat with friends, and she enjoyed the experience.  The next morning her son called to ask how the trip went and she had to ask me, "did we go whale watching?"
  • toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    JJ401 wrote:

I know DH’s short term memory has been getting worse. Today though it really hit. 

Jj401 your right each new thing hits. We just got home from church my dw said a certain person wasn't there. She gave her friend a Birthday gift, I take pictures in case she asks me if she gave a gift. That was less than 20 minutes.  Three weeks ago she started asking me if we were married. Is there a paper that  shows that?That hit home. 44 years. 

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more