Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Respite Day 3 of Five

Hello Forum Family and Friends.

My other respite post was actually day one. Today is day three. DH will come home on Monday. I had to make myself a chart to keep it straight.

Here are some self care things I have been doing:

• Eating fruits and vegetables, including fresh salads.
  • Getting more steps according to my fitbit.
  • Last night I got over 9 hours of sleep.
  • Watching a program that I like on TV instead of continuous opinion channel disguised as news AND mostly keeping the TV off all together.
  • Doing yard work that has been neglected. I filled up the water troughs and the birds are returning to the yard.
  • Spring cleaning the master bedroom that has turned into our "apartment". Ensuring it is more streamlined to facilitate DH's care.
  • Disappearing things into storage that hopefully DH has forgotten about, including:
    • the large stained glass pieces he accumulated while I was still working and 
    • a Persian carpet his father was gifted in Iran.
  • Uninterrupted sister time that included a walk in the park, breakfast at a restaurant and thrift store shopping.
  • I soaked in a hot bath uninterrupted. 
  • I gave my self an at home spa experience doing a mini facial and mini pedi.
  • Playing ball with Hap.
I am also prepping for DH's return:
  • Developing a strategy and schedule for more caregivers to come into our home.
  • Today I am going to practice using the hoyer lift.
  • Today and tomorrow I will stay away from the SNF.
Some moments have tugged on my heart and emotions:

• When I visited DH yesterday, he asked me if his wife still loved him and was she ever coming back or if she abandoned him. I told him that I was his favorite wife and no I did not abandon him and that I would always love him. He was happy to hear that.
  • I wake up during the night and am sad to realize that he is not here.
  • Hap seems extra needy, I think because he misses DH.
I have gratitude. So much gratitude. 
  • I know I am blessed that DH and I reconnected after so many years apart and that we decided to make a life together.
  • I am grateful for my faith. It sustains me.
  • I am grateful for the beautiful weather that has enhanced the spring cleaning.
  • I am grateful for this forum and all of you for your prayers and kindness. Please know that I pray for you and your loved ones as well.
  • God bless you all.

Comments

• JoseyWales
    JoseyWales Member Posts: 602
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Dear Lady Texan - I'm so glad you updated us. It sounds like you've been busy, but like that busy is making you feel better. That's nice to hear.

May you continue to rest and prepare for your DH to come home. 

And can I say that I'm impressed that you're eating so healthy? That's something that I really need to work on!

• Marie58
    Marie58 Member Posts: 382
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments
    LT, it sounds like things have calmed down and you're truly getting some respite. Good for you both. Blessings!!
  • abc123
    abc123 Member Posts: 1,171
    Seventh Anniversary 1000 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

Dear Lady Texan, thank you for the update. I'm happy the birds are coming back and you are having the opportunity to do little things for yourself. I believe the little things are not only important but special too! It made me sad to read that DH asked if you still love him, if only he could know just how much. This disease is so cruel in everyway possible. It shows us no mercy. 

My dad is sitting next to mom's bed right now. This is the second day in a row that she is not responding to him at all. My heart is breaking for him and you and every spouse here. I am grateful that I lost my DH to cancer and not to dementia. May God forgive me. 

• David J
    David J Member Posts: 479
    100 Comments Third Anniversary
    LT, reading your update made me feel hopeful that your respite is truly a respite. Your spiritbis strong.
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Lady, I'm glad you were able to do some of the things you wanted to do. Just make sure you get enough rest, and pamper yourself while you can.
  • NylaBlue
    NylaBlue Member Posts: 65
    10 Comments Second Anniversary

Lady Texan,

Even your respite days are a whirlwind of productive activity; I admire your determination and love for your DH. I’m glad the respite is giving you a chance to do a few things for yourself.

• Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,497
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Lady T, 9 hours! Wow, bet you can’t remember the last time you even got half of that. I’m so very glad to hear you are doing a few things you want to do. Please enjoy your Sunday. God bless you special lady! 

• ButterflyWings
    ButterflyWings Member Posts: 1,752
    500 Likes Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions
    Good for you!!!
  • M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,719
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

LT, I'm glad to hear from you and that spring is coming, a bit early for the bluebonnets yet I assume?  My partner loves remembering making Easter baskets lines with bluebonnets and Indian blankets when she was little.  We've successfully transferred some Indian Blankets, but the bluebonnets don't do well here.  

But the spring beauties are carpeting the forest floor, and the daffodils and crocuses in the yard are gorgeous.  There are ten wood ducks on our pond, and they creep up to the patio doors for cracked corn, along with our flock of six Muscovies and thirty to forty wild turkeys, with four huge Toms who are strutting to beat the band.

You help me remember to be grateful for these beautiful things.  I saw Orion, the Big Dipper, and the Milky Way sprawled out above me when I took the dog out tonight.  

Thinking about you.  And all our loved ones.

• fireflies
    fireflies Member Posts: 23
    Seventh Anniversary 10 Comments

Lady Texan 

I mostly read more than post but glad you are able to enjoy some of your respite time. Reading the things you have done sounds like what I would like to accomplish if I had a few days to myself. Hope you can continue to enjoy your remaining days left.

• French
    French Member Posts: 445
    100 Comments Second Anniversary
    LT i Hope you will take a lot of benefits from this respite, you certainly need it.
  • Pam BH
    Pam BH Member Posts: 195
    100 Comments Second Anniversary
    LT, what a wonderful update. Enjoy today and your reunion with DH tomorrow. The respite was truly an answered prayer
  • White Crane
    White Crane Member Posts: 851
    Seventh Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes

Dear Lady T., I'm so glad you have had this respite.  And so glad you have gotten so much done.  Enjoy today and know that you are in my prayers.

Brenda

• abc123
    abc123 Member Posts: 1,171
    Seventh Anniversary 1000 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes
    Hoping you are relaxing on this last night of respite and will sleep well tonight. Also hoping his homecoming is a happy one for you both. Happ too!
  • Memphisdee
    Memphisdee Member Posts: 64
    10 Comments Second Anniversary
    Lady TexanSo glad you have a respite. I can so relate. Checked the dh into ER today and he is going to Geri psych hospital!  My respite starts now!  This is a hard journey!  Sounds like you got a lot done!

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more