Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

the safety link?

M1
M1 Member Posts: 6,719
1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
Anybody have the link/list handy about the steps to protect yourself if a PWD gets aggressive?  My tenant needs it. for his parents.  I must not have saved it.  I know it's here, it's been on several threads including LT's in the past....it's what I used on Friday, the bit about a safe room and having your phone with you and all that.

Comments

• loveskitties
    loveskitties Member Posts: 1,074
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

Here is one recent post from LT on the subject...not sure it is the one you are looking for:

https://www.alzconnected.org/discussion.aspx?g=posts&t=2147560330

• loveskitties
    loveskitties Member Posts: 1,074
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

Here is an earlier one which is more likely what you are seeking:

https://www.alzconnected.org/discussion.aspx?g=posts&t=2147552187

• ButterflyWings
    ButterflyWings Member Posts: 1,752
    500 Likes Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions

https://www.alzconnected.org/discussion.aspx?g=posts&t=2147552187 Active link for loveskitties 2nd post. 

And I created a new one (duplicate safety content from LT) below with a different label per Ed's 'how to' make tinyurls.  But the available names were limited and I ended up with this one. Not ideal, so maybe someone else can try.  https://tinyurl.com/ADescapetips

Stay safe, all. Thinking about you and your LO, M1.

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

M1, that was an excellent list. VERY helpful. But there's one thing I think should be put in there. The safe room should always have a window in case the door gets broken down. The window can serve as an escape hatch.

• Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

Such full listings are so important; they  have been circulating since I first came to this site; in 2006, I think it was.  Such information is invaluable.   Even if one's LO is calm most of the time, it is always good to have a plan in mind should a "situation" arise.

One more thing:   Police departments are now online computer-wise for their work and calls.  Many of them have the ability to receive an at-risk person's information and enter it and the person's address into the computer thereby making it much easier to manage a 911 call.

Some departments even have the ability to add a photograph to the person's profile should that person wander off, and some even have special programs related to "wanderers," with electronic devices that the Loved One can wear on their person.

Anyway; it would be a big plus for a family member to contact the local police department and find out what is available and at least get their LOs profile with diagnosis of dementia and home addresss entered into the computer system.  Most patrol cars now have in-car computers and that will pop up as they ready to answer a 911 call and most often, the call dispatcher would also have such information.

If there is danger and a 911 call necessary; even if one has entered their LO's profile into a police computer, still always provide the information again that the person has dementia and IF it is true, that there are no weapons, state there are no weapons.   However, if a weapon is being carried, one must let the officers know so they will be ready to handle the situation with as little danger to the LO as possible while not compromising their own lives.

I also heartily recommend keeping a car key where the LO will not find it - even hiding it out of the house if necessary and having an emergency "go" bag in the car trunk with clothing and grooming items in it along with copies of important papers if there is not already a set at another location.  I myself would also have a credit card and some cash in the "go" bag along with a list of important telephone numbers should one not be able to have their cell phone with them, (cells should have important numbers in it, but sometimes the phone gets dropped or one cannot get to it.)  If one has a cell, be sure to have charging items in the go bag too.

There is absolutely no shame in taking such steps at all, it is part of the dynamics that can regretfully happen to the nicest people.   Being proactive rather than reactive can save the situation from tragedy for all concerned.

Best wishes to your tenant's family,

J.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living