Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

When a PWD nails it

Jeff86
Jeff86 Member Posts: 684
Fourth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes
Out of the blue tonight, at the dinner table, my DW turned to me and said, ‘I have lost so much.’

Indeed.  We both have.  

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,719
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    Isn't it weird how they can do that Jeff?  Stab in the heart.  Thinking about you and appreciate your support.  Hope spring comes soon to the Hudson Valley.
  • Jeff86
    Jeff86 Member Posts: 684
    Fourth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes
    Weird it is.  Also tonight, unprompted, she called me by my name.  Can’t remember the last time that happened.  Usually it’s, ‘hi, darling’ which is sweet but also a cover for not knowing who I am.  

I’ll never understand this disease. I’ll just revert to the flickering light bulb metaphor.
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Jeff, I think the wide variations are one of the hardest things with this disease. Many times they are bittersweet. Always not understandable.
  • Beachfan
    Beachfan Member Posts: 790
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Jeff,

I don’t have to remind  you to cherish these moments of clarity, however fleeting. I have none- - zero, zip, nada, and I can’t recall when DH was last present in the moment or called me by name, or by any endearing term for that matter.  It started so long ago and progressed so slowly, I can’t pinpoint when everything changed.  It’s my only consolation in having placed DH. I can come and go with a little regret but no guilt. I have missed him for so long and in missing him I have mourned his loss for so long, that I wonder if the “end” will be more bearable. Time will tell. For now, I still take one day at a time, and appreciate little slivers of happiness however and wherever they’re found. Carpe diem. 

• dayn2nite2
    dayn2nite2 Member Posts: 1,132
    Eighth Anniversary 1000 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes
    Those are the statements you'll never forget.  

I remember I was taking my mom out for ice cream once when she was in NH and she turned and said "I don't get out much anymore."  

That still devastates me.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney