Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Therapeutic fibs

Oh this has been so hard.  I told my loved one today that his Dr. wanted him to go to nursing home.  And has Dr. had mentioned it to us almost a year ago.  So I didn't really fib, but I feel like I did because I did not tell him that I thought it was a good idea also.  I fibbed and told him it was just for a month.  It won't be.  He won't come home.  He is scared because he will be transported from the hospital to the nursing home.  He has voiced that he believes the ambulance will just dump him outside his apartment door and I will not be there to get him to meet him.  He thinks he is going back to his apartment.  I assure him that I will greet the ambulance and be there to meet him.  He is scared though.  Truthfully so am I.

Comments

• ButterflyWings
    ButterflyWings Member Posts: 1,752
    500 Likes Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions

(((LauraPaul))). Hugs. This stuff really is so hard. And scary. And sad. Even the things we know are for the best. Just so tough, and it usually seems like our LOs adjust more quickly than the caregivers.

I am searching for our first MC respite stay and about to hyperventilate about a short 5 day stay. So I can just imagine how you feel. So sorry that you even need to have such a conversation with your DH. If only we could wake up and this was all just a bad dream.

Will be thinking of you. Toolbeltexpert has a thread right now about therapeutic fibs too. He was feeling deceitful, which everyone reassured it is not. You did the right thing. I hope all goes as smoothly as possible and your LO settles in to his new place sooner than later.

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Laura, your emotions are easy to understand. My wife is a fall risk, and I get up to hold her hand ninety percent of the time when she gets up. A lot of the time it is hard because I'm tired, and she gets in the groove where she gets up every five minutes to wander into another room for no reason. When/if it gets to the point where she has to be placed, that will be hard for me because nobody in the facility will get up to hold her hand the way I do. And I'll be scared too.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more