Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Thoughts, advice

My DH’s adult daughters had a falling out about 7 years ago and have not spoken to each other. My DH currently believes that they have repaired their relationship and says he he happy about that.  It is not true and we will be invited to events on both sides in the near future…. A dance recital may involve both parties being at the same place, same time…. Do I just tell them what he is believing right now and decline any invitation or tell him the truth.  I hate to tell him the truth if it is going to upset him ….. it is a sad situation because there are young grandchildren involved….

Comments

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

I would tell them what he believes, and see how they react. Maybe the relationship can be repaired. If, after talking to them, you feel that he and his daughters will cause a commotion, consider declining the invitation. If everyone attended, and things were not resolved, could you keep them from coming in contact with each other? But do tell them what he believes. You may be surprised at their reactions.

I hope I'm reading this right. Did the daughters have a falling out with each other, or is it between his daughters and him?

• Sunrise24
    Sunrise24 Member Posts: 44
    Second Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Care Reactions
    Thanks for your thoughts!  The falling out was between the two daughters but one daughter has basically sh-- out her mother as well…. Very fractured family (they are my step-daughters)…. Yes, I may just tell them both where he is at in his mind…. They are both nurses so should understand the position I am in….
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    We had something similar in our family. When my wife was diagnosed, I asked them to bury the hatchet. They did, and you would not know there had been a problem now. Good luck to you.
  • CStrope
    CStrope Member Posts: 487
    100 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions
    Tell them it's time to suck it up and fake it!!
  • jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,762
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    I would pretty much go to anything involving my grandchildren and avoid the falling out topic as much as possible dismissing it as a sibling spat when you must address it.
  • Sunrise24
    Appreciate the feedback Ed…. I can only pray ……
  • Sunrise24
    Hi Cstrope:  I think that pretty much sums it up!! Thank you. ….
  • Sunrise24
    Thank you jfkoc!  That is certainly another strategy to go with!!

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more