Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Walking on eggshells

My DH has been home with me since New Year’s.  He had a psychotic episode in September and was sectioned and then placed in MC for 3 months… I couldn’t bring him home earlier because he was saying I was not his wife and he was married to someone else.  He has been good until the past two weeks saying that he occasionally hears voices to hurt himself.  He said they rarely say to hurt me.. After he was sectioned, I found a machete and some knives under bed and he had pushed me out of house two times.  He never struck me.  He had been on Lexapro prior to episode and it was elevating him so they put him on risperdol.  Only .5 mg. He has recently been on 1.5 mg of risperdol and they had me increase to 2.5-3 mg as needed.  I don’t believe it is helping with voices…. He has not exhibited any aggression or anger.. he tries to sleep when he is bothered by the voice… the therapist told him to pray when it happens.  We had an appointment with a neurologist yesterday who did not seem to think medication needed to be changed but to just look for any major changes…. It is scary and I am afraid to fall asleep at night….. Has anyone experienced anything similar?  What types of meds seem to help??

Comments

• Crushed
    Crushed Member Posts: 1,444
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions
    GEt him out of the house now or buy a coffin and put it in the living room

He can and may kill you 

I hate to be so blunt but this is a deadly situation 

people who hear voices are mentally ill 
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Crushed was pretty blunt, but maybe that's what you needed to hear. Even though he has not attacked you, that doesn't mean he won't. You are in a very hard place to be now. Until he is gone, please heed the advice given by Lady Texan in the link below. About the only thing I would add, is to make sure your "safe room" has a window. If he breaks the door down, that can be your escape. https://www.alzconnected.org/discussion.aspx?g=posts&t=2147560330    
  • Sunrise24
    Sunrise24 Member Posts: 44
    Second Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Care Reactions
    Yes you are being quite blunt and I appreciate that… I don’t really know where I could even place him right now….. he would never go anywhere willingly…. I am hoping that meds will help this…. Family members will certainly not take him especially if there are children….. I have guns locked up and he does not know where to find key… I have put away many knives and tools…. Thank you for your quick response….
  • ElaineD
    ElaineD Member Posts: 206
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions

Dear Sunrise;

You do not need to wait for a seriously mentally ill person, in denial, to be 'willing' to receive appropriate care.

I know we are so accustomed to collaborate with our partner, to consult and seek agreement, but when our partner is hallucinating and hiding machetes and knives under the bed, the time for collaboration and cooperation is over.

You are now the 'responsible adult'.  I know it is hard to manage the care for someone who is uncooperative, and that you may find it difficult to place him where he will be treated appropriately.  

If all else fails, you must leave the house while you work to find a solution.

Please.

elained

• Sunrise24
    Sunrise24 Member Posts: 44
    Second Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Care Reactions
    Hi Elaine…. Thank you for your response….. I am unable to leave the house because he would not be able to stay here alone for any period of time… You are correct, don’t even know if there was a facility right now who would accept him.  He portrays as pretty calm and non- aggressive…. Unfortunately I think I need to just keep on top of his moods on a day to day basis…
  • jmlarue
    jmlarue Member Posts: 511
    100 Comments Second Anniversary 5 Likes
    Sounds like you're playing Russian Roulette. If you can't find a way to be proactive in protecting yourself, at least look for an escape hatch. The very first time he says that you should leave or you are forced to run, get yourself out of that house and immediately call 911. I don't think you have any other choice except to get him back into a psych unit and then steadfastly refuse to allow him to be discharged again to your care. Are you still sleeping with the enemy? I wouldn't be. I'd be in a separate room with a secure lock on the door and a window I can get out of. How long can you go without sleep before exhaustion makes you an easy victim?
  • Bill_2001
    Bill_2001 Member Posts: 114
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Here is what I read:

He is a man and you are a woman.

He has dementia and has psychotic episodes.

He has pushed you out of the house before.

He has placed weapons where you sleep.

Are you kidding me? Why are you still there? This scared me just to read it. I am not an expert and will not tell you what to do. Call the Alzheimer's hotline at 1-800-272-3900 and get some professional advice, please. And call the cops if you are scared for your life.

• Stuck in the middle
    Stuck in the middle Member Posts: 1,167
    1000 Comments Fifth Anniversary 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

The institution that accepts patients with command hallucinations, with suicidal and homicidal ideation, is a psychiatric hospital.  Call the police, tell them what you told us, and let them take him to hospital.  If you don't, and he seriously harms you, he will be locked up without you to advocate for him.

Locking up the weapons and locking a bedroom door is not enough protection.  Interior doors are easily breached, and all it takes is a knee on your neck.

Please protect yourself, for your sake and his.

• LauraPaul
    LauraPaul Member Posts: 12
    First Comment First Anniversary
    My loved one was in a Assisted Living facility and then became psychotic.  He landed in a behavioral hospital and then to a nursing home. He is constantly yelling and screaming there.  I am so grateful he does not live with me.
  • Crushed
    Crushed Member Posts: 1,444
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions
    Sunrise24 wrote:
    Hi Elaine…. Thank you for your response….. I am unable to leave the house because he would not be able to stay here alone for any period of time… You are correct, don’t even know if there was a facility right now who would accept him.  He portrays as pretty calm and non- aggressive…. Unfortunately I think I need to just keep on top of his moods on a day to day basis…

please please stop playing Russian Roulette

Thinking you can stay on top of a psychotic's moods  is Delusional

of course you dont know of a facility

call adult protective services and tell them you need protection

This is not a Do it yourself  activity  

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia