Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

So hard to watch

My dw has been a letter writer her whole life. She sent everybody a birthday card. Now she can't  get pass the list of people she wants to send cards too. This morning she tried  and tried to get one done, I tried to set it up without causing a fuss. I finally went outside to let her alone,when I came back in 20 minutes later she had enough. She was gouging a piece of paper with a pen,threw it in the trash. I wish some of the people she wrote to faithfully knew how much she tries. It is so sad.  At least I haven't blown it yet. It was so hard to walk away to see if she was just gonna stop.  Right now she crocheting a towel. I am thankful that she can still do that. When she gives them away I take pictures and make her feel good about what she does.

Comments

• Marie58
    Marie58 Member Posts: 382
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments
    I'm sorry for all of us that it's so hard. Every time we see a loss, it's another stab in the heart.
  • Gig Harbor
    Gig Harbor Member Posts: 564
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes
    Can you possibly send a note to each of the people explaining her difficulty and ask them if they could send her a note? She would probably like to get cards and she might not realize she actually did not send them one.
  • storycrafter
    storycrafter Member Posts: 273
    Ninth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes
    Toolbelt, you are such a loving husband and caregiver for your wife. I feel the tender, beautiful love and care in your post. This especially touched my heart, "When she gives them away I take pictures and make her feel good about what she does." What a wonderful contribution to her quality of life! Thank you for the sweet example you set for us all. May the blessings of your kindness fill you with comfort, too.
  • Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,497
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Toolbelt, taking pictures of her gifts to friends is a very special gift to your DW. She will be able to see those pictures and know she made them.  I second Gigs idea of asking others to send her cards, to those that don’t. I’m sure most of her friends do already. 

Prayers for you both! This disease is hard and trying on each of us. Enjoy your wonderful wife. 

• Scooterr
    Scooterr Member Posts: 168
    100 Comments Second Anniversary 5 Likes
    toolbeltexpert, your a good man to your DW. I'm pretty sure she knows your there for her, and taking those pic's for her, now that's love (GOOD JOB)   Praying for you and your DW.
  • aod326
    aod326 Member Posts: 235
    Third Anniversary 100 Comments

This reminds of the punch-in-the-stomach feeling I got when I saw DH sign his full first and last name on the Christmas card to his daughter. A year later he didn't know his daughter and couldn't hold a pen. After DH died, his daughter had that signature tattooed on her forearm.

It's horrible to watch the decline, but you clearly are doing everything you can to lessen her feelings of frustration and disappointment. That's love.

• Stuck in the middle
    Stuck in the middle Member Posts: 1,167
    1000 Comments Fifth Anniversary 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes
    I asked DW to sign the Christmas cards last year.  I wrote the notes, addressed and stamped the envelopes, etc. because she doesn't know how to stamp an envelope.  So, we got it done together.  Baby steps, backwards

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more