Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Update on move

abc123
abc123 Member Posts: 1,171
Seventh Anniversary 1000 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

OhMyAchingHead.

Good morning Sisters & Brothers!

The movers are on the way to the house now. Because of the amount of boxes needed to pack collections and art we require a semi tractor trailer, An 18 wheeler!!! They will pack all day today and load truck tomorrow. If you are a praying person, please pray for me and my dad today. If you are not a praying person, I am asking for your good wishes! I appreciate you all so much! So very much!!!

Just so ya know what kind of man my dad is. There’s only one bed in the house at this time. I had planned to sleep on the couch in dads office. First night here, HE INSISTED that I have his bed, he would sleep on an air mattress. After some lite bickering and him reminding me about my back, I gave in. The first two nights he slept on the air mattress and said he felt great. I discovered that half way thru the night he would wake up to a flat mattress and refill it. Last night he slept on the couch in his office, a full 12 hours of sleep! That’s a huge win!!!! I’m grateful for the couch, the sleep he got and we both woke up this morning! You are all in my heart and in my prayers this morning. I hope that each of you find a moment of peace today. 

Comments

• Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,405
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions

Oh your aching back, heart and brain!  That’s a lot of stuff.  Of course your  parents hadn’t started downsizing into smaller homes yet, either.  

Pack whatever you need to go to a hotel tonight after the movers leave. The house will be hard to stay in after it’s all packed anyway.  

Hopefully you’ve had a chance to cull out  a few things that needed to quietly go in the trash, even if it’s just odd stuff your mom was keeping such as wadded up Kleenexes, etc. Of course you can do the same when you help your dad unpack it at his new place.  

I know you are going home to continued 24/7 caregiving and stress, but I hope you can carve out time for a massage for that aching  back. Keep us updated! 

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,719
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    Thinking of you abc.  I will face a similar task here at some point.  But not so much valuable art.  I have at least a ton of nails, probably closer to two, up in the big barn left over from thirty years of home building.  Want any?  It'll be one helluva an estate sale at some point....
  • Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,497
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

ABC, I just feel for your poor back!  Definitely praying for you, and your dad and your loving mom. Moving is hard, but you have all the added challenges. When I was reading your post I had to think of all the things I need to be doing. I think about my kids. I have started downsizing and trying to get rid of some things. Sure don’t want my kids to have to do it. Some things I don’t get rid of because they gave them to me. On a funny side I tell myself, they gave it to me so now they can have it back! 

God bless you and your family! I so admire you for all you do for your family! 

Take care of that back!

• JJ401
    JJ401 Member Posts: 312
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

On a funny side I tell myself, they gave it to me so now they can have it back!  

This brought back a memory. My MIL, after a certain age, labeled all of her gifts so the gift giver would get them back after her death. My SIL spent a lot of time taking off labels before brining items to Goodwill.

• LadyTexan
    LadyTexan Member Posts: 810
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes
    Thank you for the update dear friend. My prayers continue for you and your loved ones.
  • Pat6177
    Pat6177 Member Posts: 442
    100 Likes Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions
    Thanks for the update. I hope the movers got everything packed today and that the truck gets loaded uneventfully tomorrow! Saying a couple of prayers for you and your dad and your mom. Hugs!
  • ButterflyWings
    ButterflyWings Member Posts: 1,752
    500 Likes Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions
    Prayers for the move and more. You are an inspiration to caregivers and a blessing to your parents!
  • abc123
    abc123 Member Posts: 1,171
    Seventh Anniversary 1000 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes
    Dad and I are on the road today. Yesterday was one of the worst days of my life. I thought I was going to have a heart attack.
  • Battlebuddy
    Battlebuddy Member Posts: 331
    100 Comments Third Anniversary 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

I’m so sorry yesterday was such a bad day. You are amazing and you are going to get through this . Just concentrate on the road. I hope and pray for traveling mercies , and that this part of the road is not so bad. I pray that you get some sort of rest at night. 

One day at a time. One step at a time 

• Buggsroo
    Buggsroo Member Posts: 573
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Hi ABC, 

Hang in there, you’ve got this. It must be pretty wearying moving your parents but your dad sounds a real brick, a really nice man. I am sure your parents appreciate your help.

My mom went into the hospital after dad was placed. I said to my brother, want to clean out mom’s house? He moved so fast there were scorch marks on the floor. Honestly my dad was a hoarder and the basement was a catch all.for anything they bought. Just pitch it in the basement, the black hole. So I went to work and felt real victory after clearing five feet around me. It was like carbon dating a tree. Every layer of stuff I went through brought back memories. My brother and I would collapse in sobs of laughter remembering our childhood. Finally after two straight weeks of work, we called the junk people and they took six big trucks a day. It was unreal. 

My mom will ask me or my brother who threw this or that out. Depending on whom she is speaking, the speaker would blame the other person. 

Now the house is full of all kinds of junk and we will have to do it again when mom passes. I feel for you but you are very nice to have helped your parents.

• Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,405
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions
    Abc123 -  you’ve had about every form of stress there is this week- emotional, mental, financial, physical, and the stress that comes from not have any time to yourself. Plus worrying about your mom back home.  I hope you get sone rest and some quiet soon.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more