Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Need suggestions for early stage for 62 yr old DH

My DH was diagnosed last November with early to moderate stage dementia.  He was put on meds which I monitor with all of his other medications. I also do the finances & he does not drive.  There seems to be some progression in some paranoia & hallucinations (?!). I need some guidance & suggestions in how to respond instead of reacting. How to ask questions of him, etc.

Comments

• Mama Cass
    Mama Cass Member Posts: 15
    10 Comments First Anniversary
    So sorry to hear this.
    My husband was diagnosed at 59.  There is some paranoia, but no hallucinations.

I do find it difficult to ride out the "they are all trying to steal from me" rants.

If you have need checked out Oregon Care Partners yet, please do.  They have some basic webinars and other self serve classes that can help you understand and cope.

I wish you the best possible journey through this.

Cass

• Crushed
    Crushed Member Posts: 1,444
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions

is everything legal in order ?  DPOA Hippa ect ?  what is your long term care plan ? Is you SSDI in order

At 62 I set aside $300,000  for long term care  in addition to DW's pensions and SS (I had my own)  Current costs are 140,000 a year  (im in a high cost area)

October will be 5 years in long term care.  DW is 69 and otherwise healthy  She was MCI at 58  and EOAD at 61

If you don't have resources on that scale Medicaid is your lifeboat and you need medicaid advice YESTERDAY  from an experienced elder care lawyer.

DO NOT LISTEN TO ANYONE ELSE ABOUT MEDICAID  

That's just a start

IT IS SUGGESTED YOU ARE OREGON   PLEASE FILL IN  YOUR PROFILE  

https://www.oregon.gov/dhs/seniors-disabilities/LTC/Pages/index.aspx 

• Mrs Hordern
    Mrs Hordern Member Posts: 6
    First Comment First Anniversary
    We live in Kent, WA.  Have Directive and Power of Attorney completed; DH is on Social Security,; did an appeal for Disability (he also has CHF, COPD).
  • Gig Harbor
    Gig Harbor Member Posts: 564
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes
    Check in your area for support groups that meet in person. It is really nice to be able to sit and talk to others who are going thru the same things. There are also some busy pages on FB dementia sites where you can get an answer to questions in minutes.
  • jmlarue
    jmlarue Member Posts: 511
    100 Comments Second Anniversary 5 Likes
    My DH has vascular dementia and has episodes of paranoia and delusions/hallucinations. The paranoia was a very early symptom. I think it was a coping mechanism to explain the daily loss of some object. Believing that people were stealing from him was much more acceptable than believing his memory was shot. I think the delusions/hallucinations were the most disconcerting behavior. Daily, he would ask, "Where did everyone go?" or "Are we the only ones here now?" At first, I would ask him who he was missing or who he was looking for, but he really couldn't say. Sometimes it was a big group of people. Sometimes just a few. No names. No descriptions. No idea why they were here. I stopped asking and changed to reassurance mode. "It's just the two of us. Everything is locked up and we aren't expecting anyone to visit."

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more