Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

FYI regarding DMV

Just wanted to share experience with DMV in Virginia and suggest that you might want to check your state for their actual rules on sale of vehicle.

In Virginia you can title your vehicle either with "and" or "or" when it is put in two names.

Until today, the understanding was that if "and", both parties listed had to sign the title to sell it, and that if it was "or" only one party needed to sign.  Apparently that is not the case.

In either case, both parties must sign the title for sale.  The "and/or" apparently only has a different meaning on the death of one party.  The "or" then means that the surviving party becomes the sole owner.  The "and" means that half of the sale price goes to the estate on the one who died and the other half goes to the survivor.

Good thing a DPOA is in place, otherwise would not be able to sell the extra vehicle.

I have no idea if the "odd" rule applies to deeds for homes or not.

This appears to be a state by state thing, since person at DMV in North Carolina says their's works differently with the "and/or".

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Crushed
    Crushed Member Posts: 1,444
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions
    Car titles are purely statutory and have nothing useful to do with property ownership

Real property is an incredibly complex topic which most lawyers found very boring in law school  

The basic rues are simple   We bought a house with my in laws using all three types of co- ownership

Crushed and Wonder Woman Have a One half interest as tenants by the entireties  which they hold as Tenants in common with a One half interest owned as joint tenants with right of survivorship  by  Wonder Woman's Dad and Wonder Woman's mom  

Neither Wonder woman nor crushed could transfer any interest alone  even with a court order

Wonder woman"s mom or  dad could bring a legal action to sever the joint tenancy with one another if they wished to act alone  

Either couple could sell their half interest acting together without the others permission

If anyone died the survivor inherited their half interest but neither inherited from the other couple.  

Legal shorthand   Entireties   Each own the whole but no part
     Joint tenants with right of survivorship   Each own the whole and the part
    Tenants in common     Own the part, not the whole
  • Pat6177
    Pat6177 Member Posts: 442
    100 Likes Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions

I used the link provided by Victoria2020 and tried it for AZ. It didn’t work. But I did sell my car last summer. The title was with an “or”. They only needed one signature. And now we are a one car family.

Thanks for posting your experience, I never would have guessed…

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more