Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Help Taking Pills

DJnAZ
DJnAZ Member Posts: 139
100 Comments Second Anniversary

My wife was diagnosed Sunday, for the second time in 90 days, with another UTI. The initial urinalysis was a moderate infection. Our primary care sent the sample for a culture. While we wait for the result our PA prescribed an antibiotic, Cefdinir 300 mg, at 2X per day for 5 days.

She took 2 and now refuses to take more claiming they cause burning when she pees. Obviously the burning is caused by the UTI. UTI's are very common for her with 3-5 per year.

My question: Since she refuses to take more antibiotics to treat the infection and I can't force her to take them, does anyone have a suggestion to get the med into her system? I thought about putting them in her water glass or perhaps in her food (if I can sneak either past her). Not sure if the potency will be diluted to the point of not being effective and I plan to call the pharmacy today on that issue. Any thoughts are welcome.

Comments

• loveskitties
    loveskitties Member Posts: 1,075
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

I don't know about the particular med you mention, but for my dad the hospital had prescribed a capsule for the UTI.  They actually opened the capsule and sprinkled contents on apple sauce in order to get him to take the med.

This is only an example!  Do not do this unless approved by doc or pharm.

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

DJ, my wife had frequent UTIs, and wound up in the hospital for three days with one of them. Someone on another site recommended trying TheraCran One, which is available online. I decided to try it, and she went just about a year before she had another one. Then she had two more within two months. I bought a bidet. I get in the bathroom whenever I possibly can with her, and when she is done using the toilet, I force her to sit there while I activate the bidet. But she has used it enough now that she no longer resists like she once did. It has now been roughly four months since she had a UTI, and I attribute that to both the TheraCran One and the use of the bidet. Just wanted to pass that on for your consideration.

I wouldn't crush any medications without asking a doctor or pharmacist if it is OK. If it is, you can mix it with fruit juices or things like applesauce or anything else that she likes. Ice cream comes to mind.

• Gig Harbor
    Gig Harbor Member Posts: 564
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes
    On line it is described as a capsule. It said it was safe to open it and sprinkle it on food. The danger is that the person won’t finish the food. If she likes chocolate maybe mix it in syrup. It probably has a bad taste but you could pretend to be eating and enjoying it.
  • Pat6177
    Pat6177 Member Posts: 442
    100 Likes Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions
    DJnAZ, if  your DW is still not taking the antibiotic, I would suggest contacting her PCP or PA and find out what to do. First, was it the right antibiotic once the results of the culture are back. And second, to see if there’s an appropriate antibiotic that can be given as a shot or perhaps intravenously. I’m hoping one of the care providers has encountered this problem before. If she won’t take the pill form and none of the alternate ways to give an oral medication work (like mixing with food), then there must be another option. Maybe the medication can be provided as a liquid and you can tell her it’s some other kind of medication. It’s a tough problem but I wouldn’t let it go too long before talking to the medical provider.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more