Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

need to downgrade mom’s phone

just a quick question! wondering if anyone here has a good verizon phone they could recommend for my mom with AD. she has an iphone now but it is too hard for her to figure out. I really like the format on the Lively from Jitterbug bc of the big fonts and easy to read menu, but she would have to switch networks.

Comments

• macamaw61
    macamaw61 Member Posts: 12
    Sixth Anniversary 10 Comments

Nicopicante

I got a jitterbug for my DH and it to was to hard for him to use

As well.

It depends on how advanced the disease is. 

Blessings

• Miss Jo
    Miss Jo Member Posts: 1
    First Comment

I’m looking for a simple, simple phone, too. I’ve seen that the ‘simple’ phones “for seniors” become too complicated for the patient.

I saw where a dementia patient’s granddaughter taped paper around their TV remote that covered all but Volume <> and Channel <>., and On/Off. Wrote on the cover just those buttons and cut out holes to access. Wrote the user’s 3 favorite channels at bottom, such as:

PBS 21
    Lifetime 55
    News 13

Maybe this is a way to go on a phone: wrap it and only mark-reveal speed dial relatives, answer, hang up, On/Off.

Of course these devices need to hold a charge a long time, if possible.

Hope this helps!

• MaryG123
    MaryG123 Member Posts: 393
    100 Comments 5 Likes
    How about giving up the cell phone and have her use a home/house phone instead?  She might remember how to use one, for a while anyway.  They are certainly simpler.  I’m considering doing this for my husband who is starting to have trouble using his cell phone.
  • Bluecard 18
    Bluecard 18 Member Posts: 8
    First Comment
    edited March 28

I have labeled the remote a bit, and listed some favorite channels as well, though I don't know that he ever uses it. (I hope the caretakers at AL utilize it when I'm not there to turn on things we can watch or he might like.

I have found all of the phone matters quite challenging, and the phones (even the Lively) are definitely too complicated for my LO to use. They also don't have the necessary settings to keep things "safe" from scammers, quiet when needed, etc. (Landline presents same challenges and fewer settings needed.) And though he can seemingly chat socially well, I know he doesn't know the answers to questions (though I know would be able to provide his ss# if asked). I have gone to facilitating calls, which is challenging as well, as some don't understand why, but am told it's the best solution at this time so I'm trying to keep the connections with friends and relatives this way.

• BadMoonRising
    BadMoonRising Member Posts: 57
    Sixth Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Insightfuls Reactions

This is an old post, but I'd like to give my .02 worth. The IPhone has options available that are meant to help people with disabilities, including dementia. I would encourage caregivers to stick with the familiar until the LO is no longer able to use the modified cell phone.

https://easierforseniors.com/how-do-i-make-my-iphone-dementia-friendly/

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney