Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Add me to DH credit card account ?

Is it a good idea to be added on to his American Express card?

While paying bills, I was asked if he would like to have a additional member added to his card. Seemed like a good idea at the time. Yesterday a new card in my name with a new credit card number showed up. I don’t think I want to

Activate it! However I would like to be added on as a account manager, he is refusing to do. He says he can pay the bills ( I have been doing bit for him since his dementia diagnosis ) I know he is not able!

Comments

• Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,406
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions

Is this a totally new account that he opened or the same account he already has  with just a new card abs unique number for you?  I ask because our credit union issued our credit cards this last time with unique numbers.  They are on one bill, one account but  the unique numbers allows the bill to show which card made which purchase.  

The next question is whether you are equally on the card or just an authorized user.  That determines whether you have equal authority on the account.  My assumption is that ( since you are married), you ate equally responsible for the entire bill anyway- but it wouldn’t hurt to ask.   

• ElCy
    ElCy Member Posts: 151
    Fourth Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Likes 5 Care Reactions
    Do you have POA? If not, please see a Certified Elder Care Lawyer as soon as possible. Also, you may want to put a freeze on his credit with all 3 credit bureaus. It sounds like you are early on in this journey. Many people with Alzheimer’s have no concept of finances and can spend an inordinate amount of money. You need to protect your assets.
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    ElCy wrote:
    Do you have POA? If not, please see a Certified Elder Care Lawyer as soon as possible. 

Absolutely! This is something you don't want to delay doing..
  • ARgirl
    ARgirl Member Posts: 20
    Fifth Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Care Reactions

Agree 100%, you need elder law attorney to get all paperwork in place.  I was already added to my husband's credit cards, then they told me that when he passed away, I would have to reapply for the cards to keep them - as I was "just a secondary user".  Well, I marched into my bank and got my own credit card only in my name.  I would recommend that for sure.

But again, elder law attorney and good financial advisor are a must to protect yourself in the midst of this disease.

• sunshine5
    sunshine5 Member Posts: 148
    Second Anniversary 10 Comments

American Express told me husband will be responsible for paying the bills. I have a unique number for his AExp account.

I think I will not activate the card as I have my own credit cards. I may want to be added on as a account manager later.

Yes, I have Poa 

Thankfully, DH mood and memory seems improved in the past week! Hopeful it continues in the same direction!

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more