Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

If you are using the Wyze camera

Comments

• Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

While we are not using this camera; thank you Ed for providing this important information.  I wonder if you would be comfortable putting this on the Caregiver's Forum so the information gets to that group too.

J.

• Pat6177
    Pat6177 Member Posts: 442
    100 Likes Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions
    Thanks Ed. I do use a Wyze camera so I really appreciate you posting this. I have it focused on the stove and microwave as a safety issue. I just sent the link to my cybersecurity nephew who uses a Wyze camera in his 3 yr old’s room. I’m curious to see what he has to say. I’ll post back here if he has any enlightening comments. But as many of the comments to the article say, best not to be pointing a camera at anything private anyways.
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Jo C. wrote:

While we are not using this camera; thank you Ed for providing this important information.  I wonder if you would be comfortable putting this on the Caregiver's Forum so the information gets to that group too.

Done, Jo. Thanks for the idea.

• toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

I use wyze cameras and they are external. However the information in the article makes it clear that unless you let someone on your local area network Lan for short. That is your internet in your house any cables that plug into the incoming router and if you use a wifi  router. Also you may have a IP Provided wifi router 

So do you let anyone plug into your router like your nieghbor NO. Or do you give out your wifi password to just anyone? I hope not.I also assume you would not be using no password or a default pw on your wifi router that's is a big no no. I worked in a factory and did setup on their Lan. I installed fiberoptic  cables, routers and interfaces at the production machines so they could input production numbers directly, this was also connected to a Wan or wide area network which was connected to computers in Rhode Island, the factory is in Tennessee. I used to go around and check that the user interfaces couldn't connect to anything other than production input. Many times they wouldn't be configured correctly allowing them access  to all the data on the RI computers. Sorry I made this so long. Just don't let everyone access to your wifi and use your own long password on your wifi router.  So many people never check the wifi pw, as long as it works they let good enough be done. Thanks Ed I am always trying to protect my computers. And phones. About 3 weeks ago my cameras told me that the 12 sec clips would no longer be available and wyze wanted me to upgrade to wyze plus to continue. Instead I use my SD cards.I click on the event and click view playback done. That way I can view all the time I want not just 12 seconds.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more