Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Pallative care for DW in or near hoag hospital newport Beach

Recently my daughter has been telling me to get a new Alzheimers Dr. We have had the same one for 9 years. My DW is in Stage 6-7 and the Dr has her tested with the word, pic tests each ime before we see him, every 3-4 months. My DW hates these tests and can answer almost nothing! He offers no palliative care or suggestions on how to deal with her moods, i feel like he is just interested in her for his research. Does anyone have any suggestions on a good Alzheimers Dr that also has a quality palliative care staff in or near Hoag  newport. ? This is really not helping us. Help??

Comments

• Jeff86
    Jeff86 Member Posts: 684
    Fourth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes
    I can’t help you with a physician referral but I support the re-think you’re having about your DW’s neurologist.  The more progression a PWD has experienced, the less valuable these periodic tests.  We changed neurologists for the same reasons as you—the periodic tests were depressing, painful, and unhelpful, and no further advice or treatment was forthcoming.  

Ultimately I decided we didn’t need a neurologist.   I found a primary care physician with a substantial AD patient base who manages meds, and will make house calls when that becomes necessary.  Your local Alz Assn chapter may be able to help you identify the right medical team for your DW.  
  • harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,361
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes
    I can't speak to specifics of your community, but I also questioned the need for continuing neurology appointments.

Dad was seen at a teaching hospital memory center where he got a rigorous workup and diagnosis but beyond that, they had little to offer. We did an annual appointment once after the initial series and I really questioned the value of it. 

IMO, those quick screening tests are more meaningful in the earlier stages for understanding rate of progression and which "skills" would need support at home. I recall seeing a gentleman outside the memory clinic "practicing" for the test and I felt so badly for him. My dad tended to do fairly well with these tests- better than he did functioning IRL. He'd bristle when the NP gave them at the neurologist's office; his geripsych had a much more engaging manner working them into the conversation as if they were some sort of game. 

A more critical piece of dad's team was the geriatric psychiatrist who managed his psychoactive medications and was able to create a cocktail of meds that dialed back his anxiety and disruptive behaviors without sedating him which enabled him to remain in his home until very late in the disease progression. Dad's PCP took a more palliative approach in the last year as the disease progressed; the gerontologist who took over care when we placed him followed suit. 

HB
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Again, no suggestions for a doctor. When my wife was first diagnosed, she was offered medicine for memory. She refused. She has not seen a neurologist since, but has had other doctors offer meds for memory. Each time she refused, and she never took any. There is no way to know if they would have helped. Her PCP handles all meds, and has given her MMSE test.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more