Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Yesterday was my birthday

Yesterday was my birthday and it ended up being a very good day!  DH did not remember but a lot of friends and family did.  I did remind DH of it and he remembered on and off during the day.  Each time he was reminded of it or remembered, he told me Happy Birthday.  Then he apologized for not remembering and for not buying me a present.  He also told me he loved me.  So I got to hear those words about fifty times yesterday!  Each time I told him it was okay and I didn't expect anything...and I loved him, too.  My tai chi class gave me a nice card that they had all signed.  That was special.  All four kids called plus a couple of the grandkids texted and told me they loved me.  That was special.  A dear friend called and sang the "Happy Birthday" song over the phone.  That was special.  And I got a lot of cards in the mail.  That was special, too.  I didn't want to cook...and it's hard to eat out with DH these days...so I ordered a pizza.  It tasted good and minimal cleanup.  It felt good to have a good day.  By the way, I am now 76 years old and was singing in my head all day..."76 trombones led the big parade" from the Music Man.

It did hurt my heart though when DH told me later on after we went to bed that he can't even remember when his own birthday is.  He said he just can't remember things and that he is "just here."  He was crying when he said it.  I reassured him that I love him and we held hands as we fell asleep.

Comments

• ButterflyWings
    ButterflyWings Member Posts: 1,752
    500 Likes Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions
    (((White Crane))) congratulations to you on an overall good day it seems. Also on another year of life and of surviving this journey. Happy belated birthday.
    I hope the upcoming year will be as smooth for you as possible, which is challenging with this disease we all are navigating - but I join your other fans in sending good wishes for many people and points of happiness to celebrate you! It sounds like you had a lot of great moments on your birthday and some bittersweet ones as well. My DH has zero awareness of his situation which brings heartbreaking conversations and interactions of a whole different kind. "76 Trombones...", one of my favorite songs and musicals I can imagine you humming it all day, and breaking out in some precision marching! I wish you and your DH well.

• Lorita
    Lorita Member Posts: 4,317
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Happy belated Birthday, White Crane.  Sounds like you had a pretty good day.  Sweet that your husband kept telling you he loved you.  Charles did that, too.    So you're taking a class in Tai Chi.  I'd love to do that.  I tried it once when they were giving lessons on TV - I've never been as sore in my life.

Lots of good wishes were given for your birthday - that's always a nice thing - to be remembered.  Now, on to 77!

• ChHodge
    ChHodge Member Posts: 9
    First Comment First Anniversary
    Happy Birthday White Crane!!!
    I wish you and your DH all the best! You certainly deserve it!
  • abc123
    abc123 Member Posts: 1,171
    Seventh Anniversary 1000 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes
    Happy belated birthday to you! I'm happy that so many people remembered it was your special day! I'm sorry the day ended on a sad note.
  • M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,721
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    Happy birthday WC/Brenda!  sweet, sad, happy, all of the above.  My dad loved 76 Trombones too.
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Happy belated birthday. Is the cake and ice cream all gone? If so, I'd even take a leftover piece of pizza! Glad you had a good day.
  • Beachfan
    Beachfan Member Posts: 790
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Happy belated birthday, Brenda.  It sounds like a lot of people are thinking of you and looking out for you.  I’m glad it was enjoyable and that there was no “trouble in River City.”  (I love Music Man ).
  • Mint
    Mint Member Posts: 2,675
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Happy  Belated Birthday White Crane!

Glad so many thought of you.

• Marie58
    Marie58 Member Posts: 382
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments
    Happy belated birthday!!
  • Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Happy Birthday, fellow Ariesian!  Pizza sounds good for a birthday cake!

Iris

• Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

Happy, happy birthday White Crane.  What a wonderful day and I thank you for sharing your very happy day with us.  However; I now have, "76 Trombones" music stuck in my head - I just hope the 110 cornets don't join them . . . grin.

Sounds like a wonderful birthday meal . . . love pizza and no cook no cleanup, Hurray!

Happy "New Year," to you!

J.

• Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,497
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Happy belated birthday, Brenda. It’s so sweet how many times your husband told you he loves you! Falling asleep holding hands is even sweeter! What a glorious day you had. 

• Lynne D
    Lynne D Member Posts: 276
    100 Comments Second Anniversary
    Happy Birthday! It sounds like all of those small moments added up to a good day, which you richly deserve.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more