Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Questions about hospice

Elshack
Elshack Member Posts: 238
Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

My DH has Crohns Disease and Alzheimer's and soon will be 92. He can feed himself, make his own coffee but lately has filled up his Depends, flooded the bathroom because he used too much toilet paper and the toilet overflowed. He loves his sugar and often does not want to eat a healthy meal. He is not on a walker but does very little walking around the apartment.

If I called Hospice and asked for an evaulation, do they have to be in contact with his neurologist? I give him a shower but I wonder if Hospice would pay for all the Depends he goes through? I know there are places that would come in to give him a shower but I don't want to pay people to do that if I can still do that. 

Comments

• jmlarue
    jmlarue Member Posts: 511
    100 Comments Second Anniversary 5 Likes
    Hopefully, your DH has a primary care doctor who knows about ALL his conditions, including the Alzheimers. If so, the primary can make the referral for hospice. Once accepted into hospice, they can provide help with meds, caregivers to give you some respite, they can change the bed, help with his personal care (including sponge baths), there's a social worker and a chaplain. Hospice can be in your home or in a long term care facility. Personally, I'd ask for placement in a facility given his incontinence issue due to Crohn's. Hospice does take care of ordering medical equipment and supplies like Depends. Hospice is covered by Medicare.
  • jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,764
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    You can call yourself. I suggest interviewing several including any your Dr has used.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more