Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Cruel and Unusual Punishment

Guilty  - Alzheimer's and Dementia

Comments

• Josie in Podunk
    Josie in Podunk Member Posts: 87
    Second Anniversary 10 Comments

Yes.  A life sentence.

And, a part of life over which we have little to no control.

All we can do is our best to roll with it.

• Paris20
    Paris20 Member Posts: 502
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Likes 5 Care Reactions
    Norm, I have often said that in any other context, the years of dealing with this monstrous disease would otherwise be considered torture. It IS torture. The moodiness, the messes, the constant repetition, the inevitable decline and destruction. I have dealt with terminal cancer in my family. I thought that was the worst way to die but I was wrong. My father was still my Dad, my grandmother was still my Grandma. There were treatments the doctors could try, even if they gave us only a glimmer of hope. Dementia lingers for years, sometimes more than a decade. My husband is on year 7 and he probably has years of horror ahead for him, and for me.
  • A. Marie
    A. Marie Member Posts: 118
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes
    Norm, Lost, and Paris, this is weird: Only two days ago, I was describing my caregiver experience to a sympathetic friend (thank goodness, I still have several) as "a life sentence with no clear chance of parole."
  • NylaBlue
    NylaBlue Member Posts: 65
    10 Comments Second Anniversary
    In many ways it is also a sentence in solitary confinement. Neither the caregiver nor the PWD can understand what the other is going through so there is no shared experience, only a long walk in the darkness.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more