Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Anyone found a way to clean...?

Now that I am now doing all my beloved's laundry, including bedding, from the nursing home she's in, I can appreciate why their linen still smelled bad when returned to the clean laundry cart. I've washed a set of my DW's bedding 3 times and it still smells like a backed up septic tank. Is any product or technique you have tried good at getting this odor out of incontinence-stained sheets? Despite the enchanting appeal to "Alice" offered in the "Gain Detergent" commercials, or the magic crystals you sprinkle in the dryer that will make your dog's towel smell great for weeks, I don't really want to use something that just masks the odor with heavy perfume.

Comments

• loveskitties
    loveskitties Member Posts: 1,074
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

Since you are likely dealing with dry urine, you may need to try soaking them over night in the washer, adding a cup of white vinegar to the normal water.  

After soaking, wash them in hot water with another cup of white vinegar.

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,359
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes
    Markus-

You may need to follow the same strategies people who cloth-diaper do. Many use additives like Odor-Klense or Nature's Miracle to banish odors.

That said, if the linens are easy-care poly-cotton blends, the odor may already be baked into the fibers which will prevent you ever getting rid of the odor. You may want to trial a set of 100% cottons stuff and see if that helps. I find certain synthetics hold odor. 

HB
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    If it's really bad, try putting a cup of baking soda in the washer before you put the laundry in. Add detergent as always. That should help significantly with the smell, and the laundry will appear brighter too.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Lynne D
    Lynne D Member Posts: 276
    100 Comments Second Anniversary
    White 100% cotton bed linens, wash in hot water with bleach.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Lills
    Lills Member Posts: 156
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Care Reactions
    If you are using bleach in the wash, I would make sure to double rinse--especially with sheets and linens which come directly in contact with the skin.
  • abc123
    abc123 Member Posts: 1,171
    Seventh Anniversary 1000 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

Hello Markus,

We use 100% cotton bed linens which are getting harder to find. To combat the odor, I find that soaking with 1 cup of white vinegar helps. Sometimes I use hydrogen peroxide, it also whitens the sheets.

If the sheets are really bad, I run them through the washer first, without adding anything. I find that this helps. Then I wash them a second time adding detergent and 1 cup of white vinegar. 

When the sheets are not soiled, just being changed, I always add a quarter cup of bleach. Make sure the water level is set on high/deep. Never pour the bleach directly on the items being washed.

Good luck.

If anyone can share where they are buying 100% cotton sheets, I'd appreciate it! 

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,359
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes
    abc123 wrote:

If anyone can share where they are buying 100% cotton sheets, I'd appreciate it! 

They're still pretty easy to find.

I like the Kirkland Signature ones from Costco, but they're only in queen and king sizes.

Company Store makes wonderful sheets in all sizes. They're not cheap but watch for sales.

We're All About Comfort | The Company Store

Target has some 100% cotton sheets. Some of the Threshold and Casaluna lines are all cotton. 

Even some of Ikea's sheets are all-cotton.

HB

• Mint
    Mint Member Posts: 2,675
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Markus I have no experience with this.  Remember someone a few years ago though saying Persia laundry detergent worked for them.
  • toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

I did a search on this problem. I know nothing Sgt Schultz, but I read a post where someone wanted to changed the lo bedding in a mcf. I thought it odd that the clean sheets had an odor. I thought I want to understand how to clean so this doesn't  happen to me if  dw becomes incontinent. So below is a link. It is a well know washing detergent brand I am not advertising for them. But who has probably done more testing then them. Some folks had suggested these steps.

https://tide.com/en-us/how-to-wash-clothes/how-to-do-laundry/remove-urine-smell-clothes

• ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,010
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions

I switched from cotton sheets to microfiber sheets long before any incontinence problems because they feel softer and smoother to me than all the expensive cotton high thread count sheets. The also dry faster and are much cheaper. Oxygen based cleaners seem to be the best for odors. Sodium percarbonate is the ingredient. We’ve used oxygen based spot cleaners for pet problems on carpeting for years and if it can get those odors out, you know it has to be good. 

I use pads on the bed https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076X1LF6R/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1  and have not had a problem with urine getting through them. I bought several so I have them on hand. I wash them right away or in the morning. 

• RobertsBrown
    RobertsBrown Member Posts: 143
    Sixth Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Likes 5 Care Reactions

This one I know.

In a deep sink or large tub run enough warm water to cover laundry.  Ad a dash of your normal detergent and a glop of Clorox.  Kneed laundry so that you pull the clorox/soap into the fibers.  Do this for a half minute or so, you are just trying to get the Clorox to penetrate all the cloth.  Now drain the water out, rinse with warm water to get most of the Clorox out again, wring it good, and then toss in laundry and run as normal for your household.  This has been 100% for me on cotton and microfiber materials, and you can bury your face in them out of the dryer and they smell terrific.  Added benefit is that the Clorox will also sanitize your sink drain and remove stink trap water.

Be sure to rinse your hands after doing the Clorox kneeding process.

• DrinaJGB
    DrinaJGB Member Posts: 425
    100 Comments First Anniversary

Since being crowned the laundry queen recently I am doing laundry every day now with both wet pajamas and sheets and washable pad.

It has become the bane of my existence.

I have found that using liquid Arm and Hammer with odor control along with a splash (1/2 cup or so) of white vinegar along with the Clorox laundry sanitizer (has a nice clean smell)---has worked for me.

• markus8174
    markus8174 Member Posts: 76
    Fifth Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Care Reactions

Old thread, but I have developed new insights and new skills. NOTHING gets washed unless it has NO urine or poop odor. Urine is simple- Mature's Miracle pre-spray with laundry pre-wash for any stains. Rinse well and launder as below. For poop, pre-rinse off any obvious residue( I try to do that on the line when my neighbors are up-wind)- soak overnight in Natures Miracle with a heavy solution of Borax. Rinse thoroughly with a quick mist of the new Downey clean rinse fabric softener. Hang till damp and do a sniff test. Any odor, repeat with twice the borax and add the Downey clean rinse instread of Nature's Miracle. If the stains and odors are still there after laundering with Woolite, Downey Clear Rinse softener and a final rinse with regular fabric softener(fragrence free). If there is any noticiable odor after all that- throw them out and order new. I'm not sure it wouldn't be cheaper than just throwing them out if heavily soiled and keep Amazon open in my browser window.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more