Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

How many caregivers actually die before their loved ones?

Ed1937
Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
I've seen a wide range of "statistics" regarding how many caregivers die before their LOs. The one that seems to make the most sense to me says that caregivers are 63% more likely to die before their LOs, as compared to non-caregivers. That is different from  saying that 63% of caregivers die before their LOs. Another said that 70% of caregivers over the age of 70 will die before their LOs. And yet others are in a different ballpark altogether. But we have to take into account that whether or not you are a caregiver, a certain percentage of people will die before their spouses or other LOs who may be ill. Whatever the answer, we have to watch our health.

Comments

• toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    I wonder how many caregivers put off taking care of themselves because of the lack of options. I should have said because of the cost of caregiver  options. I hope others chime in about how they take care of themselves. I try to relieve my stress thru breathing exercises cause I know  stress kills. I watch my weight, my activity level has dropped considerably because I spend so much time inside now. I was outside for a half an hour and when I came in, dw was throwing everything she got her hands on, don't know why. Time to distract.
  • Stuck in the middle
    Stuck in the middle Member Posts: 1,167
    1000 Comments Fifth Anniversary 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

Ed, you nailed it on the last sentence.  

I think the biggest health risk factor related to caregiving is stress, and that is related to unrealistic expectations.  Along with best practices (diet, exercise, etc.) management of our expectations has the best chance of extending and improving our lives.

• Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,406
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care