Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Update on cataract surgery

Well it's been a week and we went back for a checkup,my wife has 20/20 in the eye that had surgery, praise the Lord. Last night she was upstairs looking out a window just before dark and saw the brown pitcher she uses to put bird seed out under an arbor. I was shocked she saw it. I knew her sight was better last night. The doctor gave her the option to do the other eye and I remained quiet to she what she would say, she said it's good! she said she would consider doing it when she got a cataract in that eye. He told her she had it already in that eye and she got quiet, he started to explain that she needed to get her glasses changed, oh no I thought,  she doesn't  wear the glasses we got 1 yr ago. Luckily he came back around to the same question a minute later and when he asked again she referred to me. Whew next surgery  is gonna be at the end of April. The only trouble I had during the last week was keeping her from rubbing her eye. I just decided that the doctor said the eye shield needed to be on all week. Now that she is seeing better I am noticing that better sight means more triggers for trouble.  We have pictures of cats that are no longer here, I saw her staring at one last night, she doesn't know that cat disappeared several months ago. I am thinking about taking it down and putting a different one there before it becomes a trigger. I had prepared a fib, I take pictures of the cats everyday in case she says they were not here , I can say I got their picture, lucky for me I have lots of pictures of that cat so I can pull it up on my phone. Caregiver crap is what I am gonna call it, cleaning up all the issues of dementia with fibs. Pun intended.

Comments

• Bob in LW
    Bob in LW Member Posts: 91
    Second Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Care Reactions
    Wow! I never thought that there would be a downside to being able to see better, but of course, Alzheimer's turns everything upside down.  I think that you are handling it very well, and your DW is a very lucky lady.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Thanks Victoria I needed that. We all need that!
  • Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,497
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Glad to hear everything went well.  Smart thinking about the cats!

Victoria, good comeback!

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney