Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Skin Picking/Stimming/Repetitive Behavior

John1965
John1965 Member Posts: 104
Eighth Anniversary 10 Comments
My DW has recurring lesions because she cannot leave a minor blemish alone to heal. Bandaids are the only cure, but she can't keep one on for more than a few hours. It's hard to watch. If she's in my field of vision, I can see her picking at her chin. There are times I have to drive with my right eye closed because seeing her pick at her chin drives me crazy. I do attempt to re-direct, often successfully. But each re-direction is a gamble that can result in hurt feelings. The constant picking is very similar to "stimming" I've witnessed in some who have autism.

Comments

• Josie in Podunk
    Josie in Podunk Member Posts: 87
    Second Anniversary 10 Comments

You are the first I have seen post about similarities between some dementias and some levels of autism.

As greatgrandmother to a 5 year with autism, I have noted some similarities between her behaviors and my husband’s.

Not that I have seen any specific scientific publication…or even, so far, anecdotal reports…but, it has been of interest to me to see some of the things…like stimming, repetitive motions, repetitive speech, and a doggedness that often cannot be redirected.

He also has dyslexia and that I have seen some minor studies that are leading some researchers to believe that those with things like dyslexia, apraxia, aphasia and such may be more prone to dementia later in life.

Anyway, thank you for sharing what you have noted with your wife.

I sincerely wish I had something to offer to help, but I am in the same boat with the same lack of a paddle to navigate his behaviors.  So, I just leave him be.

I know there are meds for OCD that help some folks, but have no clue if they would be useful for your wife.

• IWBH1990
    IWBH1990 Member Posts: 20
    Third Anniversary 10 Comments

My DW had the same problem. I bought so many band-aids to only have them picked/scratched off continually. I am not sure what stage your spouse is in, but what finally worked for my wife was scratch sleeves. They are sleeves that covered the arms and hands completely, so she was prevented from picking face and arms. Because of the Alz stage she was in, she just excepted them as "the norm". I bought them from the Eczema Company, and they completely solved the problem.

Dave

• Mint
    Mint Member Posts: 2,675
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Have seen this issued mentioned quite a bit in the past.
  • Jewelsrr
    Jewelsrr Member Posts: 45
    10 Comments First Anniversary

As a therapist that works with clients with ocd, they tend to have underlying trauma and the ocd is an anxiety response to feel in control. I can only guess with our loved ones there is only so much we can do to reassure them they are safe but any reassurance we can offer might help a little.

I am still in mild to moderate phase with DH and I am starting to see hand wringing and inappropriate internet behavior we just took care of. He has complex ptsd and has become obsessed with unhealed trauma history. I think it’s his escape from accepting his probable diagnosis of Alzheimer’s which we have an upcoming appointment for. I hope it helps him and family  accept because that is bothering me most right now.

• White Crane
    White Crane Member Posts: 851
    Seventh Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes
    John, my DH does the same thing.  He has lesions on his shoulders and upper back, one on his abdomen and one on his right foot.  All of these are the result of his constant picking, rubbing, and scratching.  Sometimes they get so bad they bleed.  I haven't found anything that works in the long run but have had some success treating the lesions before they become infected.  Cortisone cream works fairly well to help stop the itching.  I also make sure and rub lotion made for excema into his skin whenever he will let me.  He also bites his fingernails down to the quick.  I think this is caused by a combination of anxiety, boredom, and excess energy since he just doesn't know what to do with himself.  He can no longer do the things he used to do...he was always very active and not one to sit around.  Now he sits most of the day.  His doctor prescribed Lorazepam for anxiety but I don't give him the full dosage prescribed because this medication can cause memory loss.  Have you talked to her doctor or a dermatologist about this?  They may be able to prescribe something to help.  Also, I know what you mean about it being hard to watch.  Sometimes I have to turn my head or close my eyes to avoid seeing him digging at his skin.  Please let us know if you find a solution.
  • harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,361
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes
    John-

It's interesting that you describe this as being a "stim" similar to autism. I have an adult son with autism and would describe my dad's descent into dementia as an almost acquired autism- aside from his borderline sociopathic superpowers he lost social filters, executive function, empathy and the ability to use speech in a conversation. He got stuck on specific topics, was utterly self-centric and even developed sensory processing issues. 

Picking is something I have dealt with when my son was much younger. There are medications that can be useful in treating this behavior-- Prozac and Zoloft used to be the go-tos for this but there may be other SSRIs that are better now. Another trick might be to redirect the behavior into some sort of fidget-toy-- a small squishy ball, theraclay, a popper might give her something else to do. When DS was deep into his picking phase, I sometimes painted his palms with a thin coat of Elmer's Glue and let him peel that off instead of his skin. 

Another thing that might help is treating the wound with something to keep it moist and prevent a dried scab from forming. That will prevent the pulling sensation that can drive this behavior. Covering it helps, too, if that is possible. If nothing else, it would slow her down.

HB
  • markus8174
    markus8174 Member Posts: 76
    Fifth Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Care Reactions
    Same here. I'm surprised my beloved hasn't lost weight from the blood loss from "picking" behaviors. She has even "picked off" age spots and freckles when she sees them.  Some day she is going to pluck her eye out because she wants to pick off that darn pupil.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more