Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

What a month(1)

Kenzie56
Kenzie56 Member Posts: 130
100 Comments Second Anniversary 5 Care Reactions
I've surfaced from a very stressful month with DH. I thought things were under control and the main problem was that I was sleep deprived and he was wandering all over the house all night...well, he started yelling at me and with the home caregivers. He has always been so polite and sweet - but this was a real change.  Then the hallucinations and delusions started - he thought the dogs were men and they were after him. This went on for a week. He also kept seeing them outside the house when they were on their dog beds inside.  One morning (after being up all night) I must have just passed out around 5:00 am, the phone rang at 6:00 and our neighbor said DH was walking down the street in his gym shorts and t-shirt. Our neighbors jumped into action and formed a search team and we found him.  I put locks on all the exterior doors (the kind that has been recommended before on this forum - thank you very much) and contacted his PCP. She put him on Seroquel and increased his sleeping medication and all is back under control. Our daughter flew up from Texas to stay with me while we were in transition.  I do feel like I am in a lock-down facility...but I am sleeping better and feel I can take a bath without worry.  He has not raised his voice since the Seroquel and hasn't talked about people out to get him.  I can take a breath now and return to reading posts on this forum. I take mental notes every time someone mentions a solution so that I can be prepared.  I thought the alarms on the doors would have been enough - but I was so tired that I didn't even hear them. The locks are great. He doesn't even know they are there.

Comments

• ButterflyWings
    ButterflyWings Member Posts: 1,752
    500 Likes Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions
    Wow Kenzie - you certainly did have quite a month! That could have ended very badly. Thank heavens for good neighbors, great kids/adults and sanity-saving meds. Thank you for sharing this good news. Welcome back!
  • Mint
    Mint Member Posts: 2,675
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Whew! That was a month.  Glad people jumped in to help you and meds seem like they are working.
  • toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Kenzie56. It sure sounded like a rough patch, being sleep deprived is so hard on the body. I am glad your getting a little you time and sleep. So good to have some family that can help and meds that work for DH.  This is really good news. Take a break you deserve it. Yes I have found a great peace know my Dw can't walk out at night because of the door locks.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more