Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Bad Week(1)

Kevcoy
Kevcoy Member Posts: 129
Fourth Anniversary 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions

This has not been a good week.  About a week ago I noticed everything in our eight year old LG refrigerator wasn't cold any more and that all the ice had melted.  I called a number of appliance repair places only to be told they don't service LG refrigerators because they have something different about their compressors so I had to call the manufacturer.  He came out a couple days later and said he had to order a part.  Came back on Friday and said it was fixed. Well, low and behold it's still not cold or even cool.  Called them back and will be there tomorrow.  I just hope we don't have to get a new one.  Thank goodness for our 15 year old Kenmore frig in the garage that is still doing great.

Then yesterday my DH took our neighbor's dog for about an hour walk like everyday.  Shortly after he left I went into the garage to pick up the food bowls for the feral cats we feed.  I couldn't believe it when the door closed behind me it was locked.  I didn't bring my keys and only had on gym shorts, a tee shirt and socks in 48 degree weather.  The front door was locked too so I sat on a chair on the porch freezing until he got home.

I am part of a family corporation that gets small dividends every year and don't get my tax forms from them until very late.  Yesterday afternoon I printed out the forms and went to my desk where I had my folder with all of our tax forms in a drawer with other folders on top to keep it out of DH sight.  My heart fell when I found the folder wasn't there any more.  Of course DH denied having anything to do with it not being there.  Our tax man will file an extension but this sort of thing gets my heart racing.

Last thing, I promise, is Easter Sunday is my DH's birthday and his brother asked us to come over for lunch.  He said their mother will be there and wanted to know if that would be a problem.  The same mother I haven't let in the house since early Feb. when she accused me of stealing from her and her knocking off my glasses and throwing things at me.  DH says I should forgive her but I will not go there.  I don't know what to do about going over.

Comments

• Buggsroo
    Buggsroo Member Posts: 573
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 5 Insightfuls Reactions
    Hi Kevkoy,
    Does the brother know about the issues that you and your mother in law have? If so, you can decide who gets to come and who should stay away. It sounds manipulative on the brother’s part or maybe he can’t stand up to her as well. I am sorry you are struggling with this awful woman. If she does come, the event will go pear shaped pretty quickly, so in the interest of keeping things pleasant, so I would use your veto power.
  • A. Marie
    A. Marie Member Posts: 118
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes
    Kevcoy, I too recommend not going to the lunch. Keep it simple and just tell the brother-in-law that it will be too much for your DH to handle (which it probably will be). Save yourself the stress.
  • ladyzetta
    ladyzetta Member Posts: 1,028
    Seventh Anniversary 1000 Comments 25 Likes 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Dear Kevcoy,

I agree with the other two posters. No reason to give you any more stress. If your DH really wants to go how about dropping him off at his brothers and you take a few hours to yourself, you deserve some time for yourself. Hugs Zetta 

• JJ401
    JJ401 Member Posts: 312
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

I am sorry to hear about your refrigerator. Ours had problems at the very beginning of Covid. It was a nightmare. Our preferred repairman had Covid. Four visits, two new repairmen, to fix. It cost almost as much as a new one, but since we need a smaller one to fit in our old house, a new one was not available. I hope yours fixes faster than ours. 

The tax stuff is someone safe. Hopefully, you find that safe place soon.

As to BIL. I would not go. I also would not drop DH off. I would not want to deal with the fallout of whatever MIL said to DH while he was there. I am envisioning her repeating her stealing accusations to DH all afternoon. 

• ButterflyWings
    ButterflyWings Member Posts: 1,752
    500 Likes Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions

Kevcoy-sounds like you got all the bad stuff out of the way at the beginning of the week so let’s hope it is smooth sailing for the duration. I agree with the others, don’t participate in your own unhappiness by ignoring the healthy  boundaries you have set in that nightmarish MIL situation. 

I’m so sorry you got locked out in the cold!!! You deserve some extra tlc self-care for sure. 

All that cold but not in your fridge of course. I was so shocked to see a post about the LG lemon fiasco. They got me too. I’m furious. Cannot afford thousands to repair or replace a 2+ year old fridge that is (now) known to be defective.  https://www.consumerreports.org/lawsuits-settlements/lg-settles-class-action-lawsuit-over-refrigerator-compressors/

• Stuck in the middle
    Stuck in the middle Member Posts: 1,167
    1000 Comments Fifth Anniversary 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

What a week!

Kevcoy, I'm glad your BIL warned you about your MIL's presence at Easter dinner so you can know whether to accept or decline his kind invitation.  

I think forgiveness would be the Christian thing to do.  Refusing to allow her contact with you or your husband would be the wise thing to do.  Can you do both?  I think I would tell your husband I forgave her, but I wasn't exposing myself to a repeated assault because then I would have to press charges.

I don't hate rattlesnakes for being what they are, but I avoid them.

• SylviaLockett
    SylviaLockett Member Posts: 3
    First Comment First Anniversary

We all have "bad weeks"....hopefully they even out.

Regarding locking yourself out of the house.  We've got an electronic lock on our front door.  You enter your code and it unlocks.  This lock is part of our home security, but you can buy electronic locks at Home Depot.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more