Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Good resources for younger kids who have to help with caregiving in a home

Comments

• Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

They appear to be serving Florida.  They have not been rated by Charity Navigator as they do not have adequate information in at this time to do so.  When looking at their services they seemed rather vague.and not very concrete. However; always good to know what is out there. 

J.

• Michael Ellenbogen
    Michael Ellenbogen Member Posts: 991
    Legacy Membership 500 Comments 25 Likes 5 Care Reactions

Why do people always look for the negative? They do this nationally and they are the only ones in that space so there is no one else.

• Jo C.

Michael, no one is actively looking for the negative . . . . you gave a link which is very thoughtful of you.   I looked at the link and saw what I saw . . . . then as I always do with such organizations, I check with Charity Navigator or other such sites which is what they are there for; that is the wise thing to do.

Therefore, it is all good when checking things out and when on a board such as this, to share information.

By the way, they are not the only organization supporting children in such a setting, I used Google and found others that also provide support.

Once again, thank you for the thoughtfulness.

• Michael Ellenbogen
    Michael Ellenbogen Member Posts: 991
    Legacy Membership 500 Comments 25 Likes 5 Care Reactions

Can you share who the others are please? These folks are not just for dementia but any type of caregiving from young age to about 18-20.

• Jo C.

Michael, it was thoughtful of you to provide the link.  No one was intentionally looking for negatives.

Checking out the link to assess what services they say are provided, and especially when such an association is strenuously and strongly pushing for donations on pretty much every page in margins top, bottom and sides, and often in big letters in attention grabbing colors, then one is best served by checking out such an association with Charity Navigator or other similar entity.  That is the wise thing to do.  Sharing findings with others is appropriate. 

Much of the services do seem to be done in Florida and really, there is not much that is concrete within practice that was evident; that is why, for me, I found it to be a somewhat nebulous.

There are other entities that provide support for children in caregiving situations with someone at home and even otherwise.  They can be found online or in one's community within helpful local organizations.

Thank you once again for your thoughtfulness.

• JamesSonDad
    JamesSonDad Member Posts: 1
    Third Anniversary First Comment

I need help caring for my my grandsons (twins 24 and one 19 years old) who are living with their father. My grandsons are losing their mother (my daughter) in the final stage of Alzheimer's She is on hospice. I have been caring for her since 2017. They visit her twice a week or more. She does remember them, but is highly non-verbal and walks slowly.

Their father and I agree my grandsons are coping with grief unhealthily: withdrawal from all out side activities, play computer games constantly, will not finish applications for work or enrollment for college, withdrawal from friends,  hand around the house and only minor chores if any; 

Their father and I want to motivate to handle grief better and restrict access to computer gaming until restricted times and after they accomplish some goals towards education and grief support. Please comment and provide resources. 

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

If you post on the Caregivers board, more members will see your post.

Iris L.

• Jo C.

Hello JamesSonDad, welcome to you.  Unfortunately, being new, you have landed on a not very well used Forum for the questions you have.

I suggest as Iris did, that you put your Post on the Caregiver's Forum; you will get more input there.

Also, the Alzheimer's Assn. has a 24 Hour Helpline that can be reached at (800) 272-3900; if you call, ask to be transferred to a Care Consultant.   There are no fees for this service. Consultants are highly educated Social Workers who specialize in dementia and family dynamics.  They are very supportive, have much information and can often assist us with our problem solving and planning.

Best wishes are sent your way, let us know how you are doing, and hope to see you on the Caregiver's Forum.

J.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney