Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Music player

I was looking for a music player that my wife could use, something really really easy for her to use.  I came across the Smpl Music Player in my search.  All she needs to do is lift a cover and the music plays.  For her it's as easy as that.  The price new is way more than I would pay but I bid on one off eBay and got it for  for like 6 bucks plus shipping, cheap enough to try.  It's not a radio, I needed to download the music (mp3 files) which was a bit of a pain because I'm not tech savvy at all, but it wasn't too bad.  I ended up buying the music mp3 files from Amazon because I don't know how to find it for free.  Over all, I'm impressed.  It's durable, has no controls for her to mess up and the sound quality is better than I expected.  Volume is controlled by recessed buttons on the bottom and I don't think any of our later-staged LOs would figure out, my wife can't.

It's easy enough for us to play music by whatever means at home, but this is something that she can do on her own. You lift this lid and it plays. Close it and it stops.  It might be really nice for someone in a facility. An aide could turn it on/off if the LO couldn't.

Just food for thought that I thought was worth sharing.

https://smpltec.com/music-player

Comments

• sandwichone123
    sandwichone123 Member Posts: 748
    500 Comments 100 Likes Third Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions
    That sounds wonderful! I love that it's truly a music "box" that she can turn on and off herself.
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Try your local library. I've downloaded hundreds of songs, and put them on three usb sticks to play while in the car. I picked all the songs my wife and I listened to back in the day. One stick is rock/pop, and the other is all country. Whenever she's in the car, she says "They play a lot of good music on this station". And I have another one that is all jazz, but she doesn't like jazz. There is some music that isn't available from the library, but there is enough to keep you busy for a few lifetimes. At our library, I think you're limited to five songs a week.

Edit: I should have added that our library has two different ways to get music. One way is called Hoopla, and you can download music, but it is only for seven days. The other is called Freegal, where you can download music, and keep it forever.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more