Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

The war

My husband never pays much attention to the news but he is starting to listen to the stories about the war, comment on them and act worried. I try not to have news on anymore. Today he thought he was part of Gunsmoke. It is getting hard to figure out what to watch. American Idol and America’s Funniest Home Videos are still safe for now. Normally he doesn’t like baseball but tonight he is enjoying the Mariners. It is hard to keep up with what works and what doesn’t.

Comments

• Joe C.
    Joe C. Member Posts: 944
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    When we hit that stage I put on a lot of animal channel shows especially with dogs which DW always enjoyed.
  • Lills
    Lills Member Posts: 156
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Care Reactions
    My DH is now watching the old I Love Lucy shows.  I'm amazed how tuned in he is while watching Lucy.
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

So far my wife has not ever thought she was part of a TV show, or tried talking to the people on TV. I'm not looking forward to that being part of our lives, and I'm hoping it never is. 

We had Comcast cable, but recently dropped it. When we had it we also had Peacock free of charge. They have a lot of the old programs that should be good for PWD. King of Queens and Everybody loves Raymond come to mind.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,722
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    Ditto GH, since Christmas I had to block the news channels and stop watching the evening news.  Andy of Mayberry, Matlock, I Love Lucy became our standard fare.  AFV and animal shows too.  When there was any talk about the war, she would start calling people saying she was going to put all her investments in gold, etc.  Had to make sure her accounts were blocked.
  • JDancer
    JDancer Member Posts: 454
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments
    My DH has recently started watching a lot of game shows. He also enjoys sports, which provides hours of TV viewing.
  • MN Chickadee
    MN Chickadee Member Posts: 872
    Tenth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions
    I can see why the news would be very hard for a PWD who is lacking processing power, it's difficult for all of us to see right now.  For those folks with smart TV sets I would recommend seeing if an app called Pluto is good to put on for your LO. It's a streaming service (free but with advertisements.) There's a channel for all kinds of things so at any time you could put on a marathon of whatever your PWD is into. A channel just for The Odd Couple, just for Gunsmoke, Price is Right, Bob Ross, old movies, game shows, travel, classic baseball games, etc. It seems a bit safer than wondering what a cable channel will put on next, this is just marathons of the same show.
  • Paris20
    Paris20 Member Posts: 502
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Likes 5 Care Reactions
    My husband would watch the news incessantly if I gave into him. He cannot discern who the bad guys, the victims, and the heroes are so he just screams «A-hole» to every man and woman on screen. Only the children are spared. News is just one category on my no or low playlist. Travelogues are tough because DH winds up thinking we are there, starts talking about the restaurant for the evening, and the flight home. This is especially true of any film or travel documentary on France, the country we visited every year for over 20 years. Never having visited a country, however, DH has no problem because his brain transports him to whatever he sees. At times I wish I had that ability.
  • Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,497
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    My DH has become tired of the tv for now. For that I am glad, I thought if I have to sit through another Andy Griffin show or gun smoke I was going to scream! As far as the news, he doesn’t understand what they are even talking about. So now his entertainment is watching me take care of our yard work. Mowing, weed eating, the vegetable garden and anything else outside. Just watching! Yesterday when I was so tired and sat down for a break, I said I’m really tired, he said me too! Gotta love them!
  • 60 falcon
    60 falcon Member Posts: 201
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Likes
    Joydean wrote:  I thought if I have to sit through another Andy Griffin show or gun smoke I was going to scream! 
    I just wanted to say thanks, you made me laugh.  I love those shows and Barney Fife is one of my "heros" but I'm even getting tired of them.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more