Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

I just wanted to share

One thing I want to share, it's not all bad. I love my wife's smile and laugh. And I miss it. This morning she was telling one of her memories again, I looked at her and she had her big smile and even laughed a little. That was so good. I have heard all the stories and sometimes I forget to pay attention.  I was missing out on it as she lives in those moments. It's hard sometimes cause it seems so repetitive, but it's all I got now. 

This is a saying I received from a little old lady in a NH.

Smile awhile 

And while you smile, others smile

Pretty soon there's miles and miles of smiles

Cause you smiled

That little old lady lives on in my memory.

Comments

• Lynne D
    Lynne D Member Posts: 276
    100 Comments Second Anniversary
    I am glad you could have that moment and appreciate it. Things like this keep up going. Thank you for sharing.
  • Marie58
    Marie58 Member Posts: 382
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments
    Treasure those smiles and laughs!! Try to video one of those conversations. You'll enjoy it later. My DH was well known for his sense of humor. He no longer smiles or laughs. It makes me cry, even as I type.
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

I'm glad you caught that smile. That's a win!

Nat King Cole "Smile" (1954) 

• Scooterr
    Scooterr Member Posts: 168
    100 Comments Second Anniversary 5 Likes
    toolbelt I needed to hear your little story of your DW smiling. It made me smile, isn't it funny how just the simplest thing can make our day better. Thank You
  • Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

I will remember to smile and smile again; mask or no mask - I shall make my eyes smile if masked.

Ed; that Nat King Cole song, I truly love it.  When I was but 13 years old, my baby sister died; it was terribly, heartbreakingly difficult for me and the adults were so caught up in their grief that not much attention got paid to the other children.

I heard that song at age 13 and listened to it again and again for comfort.  It is truly one of the greats and can have so much meaning in so many ways.  Always have loved his music.

J.

• toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Ed, thanks Nat kings song was spot on thanks, Scotterr thanks your an encourager, Jo C  your comment got me to listen to the song. The only Nat King Cole songs I remember are Christmas ones. I wasn't around  in 54. Dw was though. He is a great singer thanks all.
  • Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,497
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Toolbelt, thank you for sharing your story about your sweet wife! Smiles are always wonderful! 

Ed, love that song ! One of my very favorite. 

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more