Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Not sure what to do(1)

ElCy
ElCy Member Posts: 151
Fourth Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Likes 5 Care Reactions
After a big argument yesterday my DH kept harping on our finances. Kept asking if we are 50/50 owners of everything including the title on our house. I assured him we were. He doesn’t remember that the CELA had him sign the tile over to me exclusively. He doesn’t know that I’ve moved our savings to accounts he can’t get his hands on. He wants me to put a file together with all the paperwork showing he has 50% of everything. Any ideas on what I should do or say?

Comments

• Rick4407
    Rick4407 Member Posts: 241
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Likes 25 Care Reactions
    Hello ElCy,  My DW has had similar desires.  My response, no matter the subject, is to agree with enthusiasm.  "Yes that's a great idea!"  Then put it off for right now, "tomorrow afternoon", "after we see the lawyer", "when we can get into the safety deposit box", etc.  With my DW I could use the same excuse day after day and she would not remember.  I think enthusiastic agreement is the key.  Rick
  • Gig Harbor
    Gig Harbor Member Posts: 564
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes
    Make a copy of your title to the house. Add his name to it and let him have that copy. As time goes by he will forget about this obsession.
  • Rescue mom
    Rescue mom Member Posts: 988
    500 Comments Fourth Anniversary 5 Likes

A couple things already said are what I’d do: don’t  argue or refuse, say “ok, in a few minutes…” or “ok, just let me find that file…or get the laundry done, or whatever. Just agree and delay, they usually forget pretty fast.

Or, make some copies and use white-out (or write a new version on your computer) or use some old paperwork, maybe old savings account copies maybe from old tax returns (?)...just something to show him, whether it’s correct or not. They usually don’t notice details.

• Safta
    Safta Member Posts: 10
    Seventh Anniversary 5 Likes 5 Care Reactions First Comment
    You can make an Excel spreadsheet that lists the account information that is pertinent.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more