Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

M1(1)

2»

Comments

• JulieB46
    JulieB46 Member Posts: 50
    Fifth Anniversary 10 Comments
    Very true about time making us forget.  I put every bad, odd, worrisome thing my DH does or says on my Iphone under the list app.  It is dated and I can also look back and see when certain things started or ended.
  • M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,722
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Good meeting with the activities director this morning.  Sounds like my partner is the highest functioning person they have at present, which doesn't surprise me.  She was somewhat encouraging; she has shown her sense of humor somewhat, and she at least ate dinner at a table with a few other residents last night, first time she'd been out of her room.  But apparently this morning she packed everything up, was ready to leave.  The director was encouraging about getting her to paint, perhaps, and taking her to a tai chi class on the AL side, and maybe to a wine and cheese gathering on Thursday afternoons.  But she's still furious at me, they are not encouraging any more phone calls at this point, and no telling about visits, perhaps several weeks off yet. 

Had to make two round trips and it's an hour each way.   No sooner had I gotten there with the paints and for the meeting, when the nurses said they were having trouble with her meds.  So I had to go back home, get her home bottles, take them back.   Overall took from 8 am to nearly 2 pm just to make those two trips.  Then filled out paperwork for the visiting NP's for the third time--God knows what happens to other copies.  But those are minor bumps in the road.

I feel a bit better.  Hard to tell what the week will bring.

• Beachfan
    Beachfan Member Posts: 790
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    M1 wrote:

But apparently this morning she packed everything up, was ready to leave.  

If it’s any consolation, DH’s neighbor packs up about once or twice a week to leave; last week he asked me to “please bring his bags to his room.”  He usually forgets about leaving around lunchtime and caregivers return his items to his room.  Ironically, his wife visits often while I’ve been there but he’s never suggested leaving with her. Hopefully, with time, your partner will settle in and both of you will find peace and happiness.  Best wishes.  

• Fairyland
    Fairyland Member Posts: 178
    100 Comments First Anniversary

Hi M1

FWIW, I placed my mom 2 weeks ago, she is an artist. Or was, hardly does anything now, no executive function to get it organised to start. 

Apart from bringing various works in for her to decide if she wants them up on the wall there, at home, or stored, I am now bringing a small box of either old supplies or art books when I visit- the fiblet-distraction idea is they are for sorting out as a declutter project - she decides if she wants them there, or kept at home, donated, and dried up stuff etc maybe discarded (very little of that!). Then I take a box home again to follow her orders!  Today I quickly saw and confiscated some razors from a box of old half used oil pastels, they were for paring them to a point I guess, I said oh someone might get hurt, I will keep these at home! Watch out.

It seems to help with distraction in our case and gives a little activity that seems constructive. I tell her that yes she is staying there “for now”, and “we will think about it” and “I will ask the doctor tomorrow” and that sort of thing, when she starts griping, but she is gradually settling a bit (I realise I am lucky).

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    M1, I'm glad to see you had at least a partially encouraging day. While the trips there are something you could have done without, they are now in the rear view mirror. I hope the next time you post, it will be even better news. It's good to see a good note from you.
  • Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,498
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    It is truly good to see some good news! I pray the days get better for both of you!
  • toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    I am glad things are getting a little better. Those long drives can be enjoyable at this time of year red buds,dogwoods everything in bloom.
  • Marie58
    Marie58 Member Posts: 382
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments
    It seems she's starting to settle in a bit and getting to know someone, so that's good news. I agree you probably shouldn't go in for a while. That is not uncommon at all during the adjustment period. You spent a lot of time driving, filling out paperwork, etc, but it's not 24/7 so in a way that's a blessing. Just sayin'

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more