Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Things are getting worse

caberr
caberr Member Posts: 211
Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments

Things were pretty stable the last couple of months.  But last night DH was so agitated and said something about his brother being here.  His brother lives in FL but he said he flew here on his bike!?  He settled down and we went to bed.  Slept all night till about 6

Today, he had his shower, got dressed, ate breakfast and seemed ok. He went out back to talk to a neighbor, who is a good friend. He got confused coming home and the neighbor was trying to direct him in the right direction.  I went out and he was mad because someone stole the deer.  I figured out he was talking about his John Deere tractor.  I showed him it was behind the shed.  He said I'm a liar and why did I take the shed.  We walked through the wooded area behind the house for 45 minutes looking for the shed and the tractor.  His caregiver came and after a while we got him in the house.  He still says I'm a liar.  I got him to take his meds and he is listening to music right now.   

I know this is the ALZ talking, and I don't really mind being called a liar because I know I'm not but the look in his eyes really upset me.  

If he didn't come inside would this have been something I would have to call 911 for?  I thought about it but thought it would only make things worse. 

Comments

• Rescue mom
    Rescue mom Member Posts: 988
    500 Comments Fourth Anniversary 5 Likes

I had a very strange and scary  incident with my DH last night. I saw something about it being a full moon (??), I and many others here think there really is something to that.

My own experiences/thoughts about 9-1-1 is if he’s violent enough for me to fear for my physical safety, or if he is putting himself in serious danger beyond my control. Like going missing, or maybe waving a weapon around. 

Actually, last night, if my DH had taken off or got away naked, as he tried, I would have called 911 for sure.

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Caberr, I'm sorry. It seems there is enough negativity on the forum now that it won't handle much more. But it keeps coming.

You know your DH better than anyone. I might call 911 if my wife refused to come inside, and it was something that needed to be done. But I'm pretty sure that would make things better for us. If you think it would make things worse, you'll have to consider if it is worth the risk or not.

• Gig Harbor
    Gig Harbor Member Posts: 564
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes
    My husband was totally confused on Friday and fairly confused Saturday afternoon. I don’t usually attribute things to a full moon but now I wonder. He was better Sunday. If he were outside and I couldn’t get him inside I would probably call 911. Are you close to considering placement?
  • toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Rescue mom wrote:

I had a very strange and scary  incident with my DH last night. I saw something about it being a full moon (??), I and many others here think there really is something to that.

Rm I have paid attention to that for many years, ask the folks at a NH. It's funny I was gonna post about it. My dw for the last week is going thru a rough patch again, which means so am I. It seems like the week before the full moon is the time for trouble. And there are some full moons worse than others the ones in spring right now and ones in fall November. Other than that I wish I could come up with some ways to deal with dw during this time. Seems I need to do everything!#!$# She feeds the cats 20 seconds later, she asks did you feed the cats? Dammed if I do and dammed if I don't. I say yes so I won't make her mad. She says you might just as well do it from now on.  I could just pull video from the cameras showing who did what, but I refrain.  Sorry I think I just need to vent it's a full moon. That's my excuse and I am sticking to it. 

• Buggsroo
    Buggsroo Member Posts: 573
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 5 Insightfuls Reactions

In my twenties I worked in the ER in a local hospital. Many of the staff would warn us that when there was a full moon; watch out. I worked there a year and sure enough, the full moon was a real roller coaster ride for staff in hospital ERs. We used to use black humour to mitigate the baffling unexplained behaviour that patients exhibited. Honestly, I could only handle a year of it, quit and went to art school, that kind of crazy I understood.

So, I do believe that a full moon is a thing and people are derailed by it.

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,766
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    Please do check for a UTI with culture asap. Any abrupt change in behavior con be from a UTI and they can be fatal  left untreated.
  • caberr
    caberr Member Posts: 211
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments

Thanks all.  I never thought of the full moon or a uti.  He seems better but still blames me every so often for getting rid of his tractor. (all false)

Gig Harbor - I was hoping not to place him but just had a meeting with a woman who helps find memory care, nursing homes or assisted living along with other things to help the caregiver.  We are getting a plan together in case it becomes necessary.  Of course, she says sooner is better than later but I'm the one having the problem! He was against adult day last summer but she suggested we go together with her next week to look at a few adult day programs.  I will be going with her to look at MC facilities.  Right now I'm hoping he will go to a day program.  He was always social and I know he needs interaction with others and is bored.  

• Gig Harbor
    Gig Harbor Member Posts: 564
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes
    Cabrera I have visited 10 facilities and one I went back to and it is the one I will ultimately choose. I did visit two that wouldn’t have been shown to me by the company that helps you find placement. That is because they don’t want to pay the premium to the company and their spots fill quickly. My husband has not been really confused since the full moon. It is just boring being home and I can’t get things done in the yard because he won’t help and would want to leave for a walk. He is happy and is willing to watch TV. As of this week I now have to place his food at the table and get him something to drink. He can’t process the directions to do that. Every week there is a new loss. I would never place him at the point he is now but he is losing abilities so rapidly I wonder how long until incontinence arrives. I have caregivers three days a week and he loves the social interaction. I think he will do well in memory care because he is so social.This disease is so hard because it changes constantly.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more