Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

I've signed up for a 5 day course on dementia caregiving

Ed1937
Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
I signed up for the course by Dr. Natalie Edmonds of "Careblazers". She is a certified geropsycholoogist, specializing in dementia. The course starts at 5 PM central time today, and lasts through Friday. Each segment is 1 hour long. I'll let you know if I think it was worth taking. This course is very affordable, and is available several times each year.

Comments

• Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,497
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Ed, are you still talking the course? I hope it is helpful. I would be interested . 

Hope things go well for you and your wife this week. 

• Ed1937

Thank you, Joy. Yes! We had our second class last evening. You can sign up for this course the next time they have it, which I'm guessing will be in another three or four months. The cost for the five day course is only seven dollars, and if you want the workbook, that is another seventeen. I joined the course with the hope I could find a way to have my wife cooperate with me. When she has dirty underwear, and goes into the bathroom, I follow her in there. That's when the stuff hits the fan. It is super stressful by the time we're ready to come out of there.

Dr. Natalie tells you that you have to go into the course willing to make changes that are not comfortable. It's not about how to change your LO. That's not going to happen. It is about how to make yourself feel better about the tough situations, thereby helping with anger and stress. She says that managing your thoughts makes the situation much more tolerable. She really pushes her ideas home several times during the course, and after attending two classes, I would highly recommend it. After all, how much can you lose? So far, I think you can get by very well without the workbook, and that will save you seventeen dollars. Of course if you don't minding spending the seventeen dollars, the workbook probably makes it a little easier to get through the course.

If you don't do facebook, you can get the program through a special link on youtube. I like that the videos are available to re-watch for a limited time. I think it's around the fifth of May for this course. I find this valuable because it's hard to get everything out of the videos when my wife is roaming the house. I can re-watch them when she is sleeping.

• Joydean
    Thank you Ed! I definitely want to do that course. I do like the fact you can rewatch it. With my husband , like your wife, it’s hard to do anything if it’s not with him. Even getting on this forum, I can only do it when he is sleeping. Thank you again for all your information. Have a blessed day!
  • mrl
    mrl Member Posts: 166
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Likes

Ed,

You could probably run the course....just sayin

Michele

• Stuck in the middle
    Stuck in the middle Member Posts: 1,167
    1000 Comments Fifth Anniversary 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes
    Ditto.  When I saw the topic heading, I presumed you had signed on as a teacher.  You are certainly well qualified to evaluate the course!
  • Ed1937

Thank you for the nice thoughts. But in reality, I'm just as lost at this job as anyone else. I doubt if I could give anyone enough pointers or strategies to get very far on this road. 

Yesterday was day three. I'm still sold on the course, but using what I've learned is going to be the hard part. But I have hope that I didn't have last week.

• Joydean

Hope is the one thing we all need! I’m glad you’re getting that from the course. 

I have learned a lot from many of your post! For one thing is you seem calm and you are never judgemental of others, nor do you ever assume you know someone who you don’t! My personal opinion.  

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more