Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

DW having a good day

Hoot619
Hoot619 Member Posts: 342
100 Comments 25 Care Reactions Second Anniversary
DW  has had Alzheimer's since 2015 ,probably earlier also but finally found out what was wrong. These topics have helped me alot. I'm not alone going thru this. These caregivers on here are part of one big family. We care, we share and we shed tears for one another. I get so darn* mad at times even though I know it isn't her fault.    Pill time is hell half of the time, cleaning her up sometimes 3-4 times a day. Getting her in shower to clean mess up, using nice words don't work. Finally tell her to get her butt in there..   But then  every so often she is so much better, can talk a few words, remember a little,laugh at me when I screw up.   For an example-made scalloped potatoes and ham yesterday. Looked nice ready to put in oven.  Forgot the darn ham but finally got it stirred in there and it turned out very good. She thought that was funny as hell.  Hang in there every one, we can do it-I'm  having a hard enough time controlling me. Ken or Hoot619

Comments

• Marie58
    Marie58 Member Posts: 382
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments
    Scalloped potatoes and ham, yum! Glad you had a good day and got to hear her laugh.
  • ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,013
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions
    Hoot619, I can relate. Some days are so rough and a fight from start to finish, getting pills down DH or dealing with repetitive questions or behaviors over and over and over again. But then there are good days and things are better again. I think in DH’s case the increase in his prescription of Risperadone has helped the agitation and all that goes with it a lot. We’ve also hired a caregiver who comes in for 4 hours per day on 3 days of the week. It’s expensive and she isn’t a medical professional, just a companion from an agency who has cared for dementia patients before and can deal with incontinence and changes of Depends without blinking an eye. I resisted having a stranger here, but she’s low key and friendly and become a part of things quickly. Either my sister who also lives here or I are in the house in case we’re needed, but upstairs and out of sight. It’s often our only chance to do grocery shopping in person or other errands. Sometimes it’s a good time to do cleaning projects or just take a much needed nap. The socialization with the caregiver seems to be good for DH too. Even after she leaves he seems in better spirits. One time I came downstairs to the sound of both of them laughing. It was so good to hear that since DS and I are often so burned out with 24/7 caregiving that we don’t have a lot to laugh about. We try to do more of that now.
  • Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,497
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Ken, totally agree, hearing laughter is like the sweetest music ever! Laughter reaches the eyes, which a little half smile never does.

Thank you for sharing!  

• Hoot619

Well it lasted almost all day, I was going to go to my meeting but DW had said She wanted to go home earlier.  I decided to skip it and glad I did.     DW got her coat on after supper and we went thru hell for a while.  This is the 2d time this year that it lasted for quite a while. I got cussed out good. Told her she forgot her shoes that didn't matter. 

Finally got her to go in bathroom so I could change her depends. That took some doing. When she was sitting  I put her coat away. I think she was detracked from leaving by the Depend change.     All things considered it still was a good day.   Plan on making 2 apple pies today but will have to hide them since I have a night time prowler. DW doesn't use a spoon or fork . Today is ok so far DW is still sleeping.  Hoot619

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Ken, it sounds like you have more positives than negatives. That's huge! Focus on the good stuff.

Ham and scalloped potatoes sounds yummy! I have the ham. I just need the recipe. I wouldn't even attempt to bake a pie.

• DORI321
    DORI321 Member Posts: 12
    Second Anniversary First Comment
    This helped me put things in perspective today, if only for a moment.  I love those moments where we find a little fun and laugh and I need to keep it in perspective.
  • toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Ken scalloped potatoes and ham boy my dw would love you. If only I didn't make her so mad at me when I try to cook. I had made mac and cheese from scratch and wanted to put in some ham but I forgot the ham as well. Thanks for sharing everything I feel for everyone whose lo is incontinent. Your doing a great job.
  • Hoot619
    Things are back to so called normal for DW, Doesn't want clean clothes on, fight with her to get dry Depends On , anything I ask It's NO.  Didn't want supper, slept most of the day in her chair.  Yesterday I was able to make 2 apple pies and also 2 gts. microwave bread and butter pickles.  Have the pies in garage good and cold out there. Left in kitchen big Rat gets in them. DW loves her sweets.    I did take off on ATV for 45 minutes. Felt good to get away, She wasn't in that I want to go home stuff.  When she is I don't dare leave.  When she eats her sandwich pie and ice cream to follow.
  • Ed1937
    "Things are back to so called normal for DW, Doesn't want clean clothes on, fight with her to get dry Depends On , anything I ask It's NO.  " I'm a little confused. Are you talking about your wife, or mine? Sure seems like mine.

Glad you were able to have a good day yesterday. It sounds like you had a good ride, and that's a big win.
  • Hoot619

Sunday was a good day,listened to church on line at 8 AM.  I went to town picked up a trailer load of hardwood limbs. I use the main branches to burn the darn Depends.    Still have to cut the mains up. Have a 50 gal burn barrel , live away from town.  Stopped and got Big Macs and fries for us. DW was real happy with that.         Being outside for about 3-4 hours helped me a lot  DW  watched Dr. Po de Vet and also slept in chair during that time.  I was able to watch the Nascar races both days.  ARCA race I missed lot of it.    Actually I feel refreshed today. My wife and I watched Blazing Saddles Last evening.  She was laughing most of the time and stayed awake watching it.   It was a joy listening to her.   

Today so far it is good, should be able to make my noon meeting.  I belong to a 12 step program and sometimes have to unload on them, we can't keep how we are doing quiet , Just like this forum.  We can unload and ask for help and also read the Topics.   It all helps!

• Ed1937
    Glad you're having a good day, Ken. We all need that every so often.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more