Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

4-20

Today is apparently national pot day. I went to the local pot shop to get something for my husband for the next time he has severe anxiety. The place was mobbed because they do a big sale on this date each year. The young woman who helped me said her grandfather had dementia too. She recommended gummies with a ratio of 30:1 CBD to THC. We will see how this works but I will only give him one if his anxiety and delusions are something that I can redirect. Who knows-maybe the next full moon will be a pot party at our house.

Comments

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Gig, I hope that does the trick for you. Let us know the results, please. The party? If you have it, I'm pretty sure you'll have a full house.
  • ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,013
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions
    Gig, I’ve heard a lot of good things about gummies but the doctor doesn’t want to discuss them one way or the other. Does your DH take any other meds?
  • jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,766
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    Maybe don't start with a whole one.
  • Gig Harbor
    Gig Harbor Member Posts: 564
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes
    Maggie he takes Aricept and Namenda. The 30:1 is a mild strength but I will probably start with half a gummie. Even though pot is legal in WA most doctors don’t give advice pro or con because they just don’t have the knowledge and it is such a new product.
  • ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,013
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions

Gig, I’m sure Big Pharma has some say in what they can recommend too…

Please let us know how it goes. And anyone else who has experience with it as well.

• jmlarue
    jmlarue Member Posts: 511
    100 Comments Second Anniversary 5 Likes
    I'm in Washington, too, Gig. DH's primary had no issue with trying straight CBD for him, but wouldn't weigh in on the advisability of THC causing an adverse reaction with other drugs. As I mentioned in another post, I saw no reaction (good or bad) to the CBD after a 60 trial, so I discontinued it. On the other hand, I did get a fairly mild THC tincture for myself to battle my own occasional stress overload from my DH's anger and aggression. Taken after putting DH to bed, the house is quiet, hot cup of tea, and some good music. A bit like having a couple of Margarita's, but no calories
  • Lynne D
    Lynne D Member Posts: 276
    100 Comments Second Anniversary

JMLarue, I am with you on the self-medicating after my LO has gone to sleep. Ditto on the calories!

I have used a 1:1 ratio CBD to THC for my LO. The pharmacist with his palliative care group gave the green light (in code talk). I think it helps sometimes, and sometimes I just get a loopy agitated person.

• Gig Harbor
    Gig Harbor Member Posts: 564
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes
    So Lynne my 30:1 will be a lot less strong than the 1:1 you have tried if I am figuring right. I figured that I could always try it if he doesn’t respond to it. He has been fine for the last three nights but I know it won’t last. I definitely try not to look ahead right now and simply live in the moment.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Fairyland
    Fairyland Member Posts: 178
    100 Comments First Anniversary
    I am a dimwit I guess but what is the significance of 4-20?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • jmlarue
    jmlarue Member Posts: 511
    100 Comments Second Anniversary 5 Likes
    Victoria - There have been a number of scholarly articles in recent years supporting the theory that CBD oil can provide some calming effects for a person suffering from anxiety, PTSD, OCD and related disorders. Here's a s sample article from the National Institute of Health Pub Med as an example: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4604171/  The reason some caregivers will try CBD oil for their LO with dementia is because of these positive reports, but also because there are far less adverse side effects like we see with the antipsychotic drugs developed by big pharma. Sadly, I saw no discernible change in my DH's level of agitation and anger while taking CBD - but there were no bad effects either. If it's essentially a "no harm - no foul" outcome, I have no problem with giving something a try. Personally, I don't see the harm in the addition of a small portion of THC in the mix. It is often credited with a calming effect and/or pain relief. I'm not aware of any reputable source claiming that CBD or THC can repair the demented brain. 
  • Rescue mom
    Rescue mom Member Posts: 988
    500 Comments Fourth Anniversary 5 Likes

Lol I was out a lot yesterday and noticed the full parking lots at the dispensaries, but 4-20 never crossed my mind till heard some late afternoon news. Seems like I just heard 4-20 in the last few years. 

DH had the medical OKs Fl requires, so I went to those shops a lot. I was always amused at how the crowd was always so many “seniors” and “golf course grannies” as we say down here. It’s obviously helping somebody with something!

• Stuck in the middle
    Stuck in the middle Member Posts: 1,167
    1000 Comments Fifth Anniversary 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes
    I'm pretty sure MJ is relaxing.  A car drove into a local MJ dispensary storefront the other day, and the proprietor was interviewed on the TV news.  He was the most relaxed dude I ever heard, saying something about how little damage was done considering a car had, like, driven into his place of business.  LOL
  • toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    4/20 and 4:20pm the day and time every day at 4:20 is a time to light up. A friend on Facebook is always using that reference when we wants to party with someone, he'll say want to do a 4:20.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more