Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Still assuming dementia

I took down all my previous posts recently. Mostly as I needed to step back and absorb what I was experiencing after discovering what I believe to be a combo of DH mental state mixed with dementia.

So where I am at- vacation was cancelled

DH revealed mixed bag of awareness of deficits mixed with unknown of what its dementia, what is unresolved  trauma. Doesn’t matter. We have buckled down and dug into feelings, listening to self compassion talks for the both of us. Looking for additional supports.

I have sought legal advice, I am in good shape. Next stop memory care neuro. May she please have answers and guidance.

Life goes on! Grateful he can still be left alone.

Comments

• dayn2nite2
    dayn2nite2 Member Posts: 1,132
    Eighth Anniversary 1000 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes
    Please don't expect a lot from the neurologist visit.  This forum is littered with people who were hoping for a diagnosis or some assistance and guess what?  In the absence of a brain tumor, a massive bleed or some other brain insult, the neurologist will also assume dementia.  What kind?  They won't say (likely).  They'll tell you the only way to know what it is would be to do a brain autopsy after death.  

You will probably get a script for Aricept or Exelon (maybe both?) and sent on your way.  I don't care whether you are going to a world-famous memory clinic or institute or the neurologist down the street.  Same thing.  Hello, well maybe dementia, not sure, here is a prescription and see you in 6 months.  

Also, if you need to step back, that's fine, but please don't remove posts from the forum.  While you may have received the answers you need, there will be people coming after you who are searching regarding similar questions and they find the old posts valuable.
  • Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

Getting onto the first rung of the learning ladder - it takes a bit of time as the learning curve can be lengthy, but one does get to the knowledge one needs.

My LO was also complex; the Geriatrician diagnosed Alzheimer's Disease.   However; the symptoms and all just did not fit that category and as weeks passed, it was evident we needed more.  MRIs had been done but had not shown a thing which is quite common.

Consulted a good Neurologist who examined and assessed, then had a SPECT Scan done. there it was as clear as could be - FrontoTemporal Dementia and not Alzheimer's Disease.  That explained a lot; it was a behavioral variant of FTD.  She had been placed on meds by the Geriatrician that are contraindicated in FTD, it made a difference when those were discontinued.

Still had dementia, but one of a very different kind that also permits the person to retain more memory and function for much longer, but does present other rather confusing blips so to speak.

Best of wishes as you move forward, do let us know how things are going.

J.

• Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,406
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions

I understand why you removed your posts. You were in a lot of pain and also thought your spouse was  able to control his behavior, but wasn’t.  Now it seems you’ve reached the acceptance of the fact that he is not able to control it.  You will get some answers from the neurologist.  You will get a test score that will attempt to tell you how far along the path he is- although it’s an arbitrary number.  He will most likely get an an MRI or a CT scan to rule out tumors, etc.  Blood work to rule out low vitamin B12 or thyroid issues.  However you may or may not get an answer to which kind of dementia he has.  You definitely won’t get an answer to how long before he gets worse?  How bad can it get?   

We are glad you’ve returned and this is a marathon.  Pace yourself. 

• Jewelsrr
    Jewelsrr Member Posts: 45
    10 Comments First Anniversary

Day no I don’t expect firm answers, I think that he does. But I do expect they will at least rule out other things and point us toward this path and that is enough for me mostly, DH probably not.

I took those posts down for some personal reasons but I do recognize that there may have been aspects that may help someone. I will be more careful what and when I post now. I tend to be a wear my heart on my sleeve, share whatever but DH is not. I can’t imagine how he would see this but I just want to be more careful.

• Jewelsrr
    Thanks Jo, best to you as well. I had a great work week to find that DH seem a bit worked up again about trauma. I am exhausted and need to go back to work to escape my personal life. Thankfully I get to my daughter tomorrow and I think I will try to do lots of errands and maybe see a friend. Grateful to be able to still leave him alone.
  • Jewelsrr
    Thanks quilting, I know it’s not good how exhausted I am already. It’s the mental stuff that gets to me. I can do all the housework, the errands. It’s just the mental stuff. Trying to take care of myself to recover the past few weeks but it never feels enough. I rarely feel relaxed for long when he is around.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more