Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Dementia Mentors - has anyone used them recently?

I am considering seeing if my husband wants to use the Dementia Mentors private mentor service. I think having someone to talk to one-on-one may help.  Does anyone have any experience with this agency?  I've searched the posts, but the references I find are from a few years back, and I know things have changed everywhere.  Any words of wisdom?

Comments

• Gig Harbor
    Gig Harbor Member Posts: 564
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes
    I have never heard of this service. Is it expensive? It wouldn’t help my husband because within 5 minutes of having the conversation he would have forgotten it. If you think it might help your husband it might be worth giving it a try.
  • Rescue mom
    Rescue mom Member Posts: 988
    500 Comments Fourth Anniversary 5 Likes

Huh. I never heard of this, so to Google. It seems, at quick glance, to be an online video chat activity. It mentions sending you needed special computer equipment, so…costs? 

My DH can’t use any kind of computer/phone anymore, and can’t converse much beyond saying hello, so not for us. (And as gig said, he wouldn’t remember doing any of it a few hours later). But seems like it could be good for PWDs who are not yet so affected.

And probably overly cautious of me, but they really stress/promise confidentiality and how the conversations must be only between the two people, nobody else. That could be problematical for my DH could say almost anything, no regard for consequences or truth.

DORI my local Alzheimer’s Association also offers various social/mentoring for PWD, both in small groups and one-on-one, both online and IRL. All free, no charge. If this interests you, you could ask your local group if they have something like that. Just another  avenue to explore, in addition to this one.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more