Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

How to use Message Board Questions

Ellsie
Ellsie Member Posts: 11
First Anniversary First Comment
Hello Everyone,

My DH has a tentative dx of Alzheimer's and I found this online support message board very helpful!  I am reading through the posts and learning something with each one.  I couldn't figure out where to ask these questions, so I hope you won't mind if I post them here:

Is there a way to tell which posts you have already read?  When I return to the board the next day I can't always remember where I left off. 

Is there a way to private message someone?  

Thank you.

Ellsie

Comments

• ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,013
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions

I would also like to know if there is a way to private message someone on the forum. There are often questions about medications my DH has in common with others and it seems too personal to post on a public forum. 

I see the Connections section at the top of the board but can’t seem to get it to work. 

Good questions, Ellsie.

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Welcome, Ellsie. As you've probably figured out, this is a really good forum to get support and suggestions. I'll answer your question about how to private message someone here. I'll give instructions to ImMaggieMae, and you can follow it. 

ImMaggieMae, let's say you want to have private messaging with Ellsie. If you click on her name, you can "invite" her. She will then get an email, and she will have the option to accept or deny the request from you. If she accepts it, you can then private message each other. Easy peasy. Once she accepts your invitation, you will both have the other's name appear on your "Connections".

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    I should have added that there is no way to know which messages you've read. But if you can remember the time of the last post, which will show up on the page showing the threads, you can look for any newer posts.
  • Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    ImMaggieMae wrote:

I would also like to know if there is a way to private message someone on the forum. There are often questions about medications my DH has in common with others and it seems too personal to post on a public forum. 

Welcome, MaggieMae.  Surprisingly, questions about medications are quite common and are suitable for these boards.  The effects of the medications can be very variable, and members need to be informed of this.  Several members may have a pertinent response to your question.  The board works by sharing information and experiences, much of which are unknown to your own doctor and other professionals, and to family members.  Don't be shy about posting, everything has already been discussed.

Iris L.

• Hoot619
    Hoot619 Member Posts: 342
    100 Comments 25 Care Reactions Second Anniversary
    OK, she is on her connection. how do you private E-mail than?? private message them
  • toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Hoot619 click on inbox then compose then browse friends, select who you want to email. Hope this helps.
  • Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

Hello Ellsie and a very warm welcome to you.  Using Connections can be a bit confusing, but if you go to the top of the page and click on the word, "Help," a new page will pop up.  Look on the left side of that page; there are several links to click on that instructs and explains everything about Connections.

If you want to follow a Thread you have Posted on, go to the top of the page and click on, "You."  All Posts you have written will pop up with the timeline you wrote the Post.

Good luck, we all learn as we go and we are delighted to meet you.

J.

• Ellsie
    Ellsie Member Posts: 11
    First Anniversary First Comment
    Thank you to everyone who posted answers and suggestions.  I really appreciate it!

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more