Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

About the course I took

Ed1937
Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

As most of you know, I just finished a 5 day course online. It was put on by Dr. Natalie Edmonds, a geropsychologist, who also has the Careblazers videos on youtube. Here's my take on it:

This interactive course ran for 5 consecutive days, and the segments were 1 hour each. The last day she stuck around for about another 1/2 hour to answer questions. The cost of the course was only $7.00. The course should be followed in order, beginning with day 1. If you skipped a day, you would probably be lost at some point in the next segments. What she taught was something you probably never expected, but made a lot of sense. These videos are available to watch at anytime on youtube or facebook, until May 8 (for those who took the course). I don't expect it to be easy to put into practice what I learned, but I do sense there is great potential. Definitely recommend for anyone, regardless of how far their LO is in progression. I think the next availability for the course will be maybe another 3 or 4 months.

Comments

• Hoot619
    Hoot619 Member Posts: 342
    100 Comments 25 Care Reactions Second Anniversary
    That I will check out. It sure can't hurt, we are all going thru this and it's all trial and error.What works works and some don't. Most of us have never gone thru this care-taking stuff before!
  • Ed1937
    We just had the same situation that I thought was the end of me last week. She had a full load in her pants, and when I go into the bathroom with her, that's when things really get hard. I tried some of the things I picked up in the class, and I couldn't believe how easy it went!! Pure luck? Maybe, but maybe not. A reason to think I might not have to place her.
  • Hoot619
    Hoot619 Member Posts: 342
    100 Comments 25 Care Reactions Second Anniversary
    Ed, I had to laugh I went thru it twice today and the 2d time was really something. Still think about buying a pressure washer.  (just kidding)
  • Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,497
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

I will definitely be marking my calendar for that course! Glad what you learned worked! Thank you.

Hoot, thanks for the laugh! 

• Ed1937
    Try a bidet, Ken. It makes cleaning a little easier.
  • ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,013
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions
    Ed, when is this course available again? Is there a link for a website that tells how to sign up for the next time?
  • Ed1937
    I'm not sure when the next course will start, but she has a free youtube series that you can follow. If you follow her (subscribe), she will let you know when the course will be available again. I'm guessing it will be 3 or 4 months. Here is a link to her videos. You can watch a few to get to "know her", and pick up tips. https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=careblazers+videos  

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more