Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Bought myself a gift - Hot Tub

jmlarue
jmlarue Member Posts: 511
100 Comments Second Anniversary 5 Likes
I found a very nice reconditioned 5-person hot tub for $3,000 last October. It currently serves as my respite twice a day. DH is not interested, which is fine by me. It means I get 30 minutes late morning and evening to soak and de-stress, alone, while he watches old re-runs on TV. I spend 15 minutes with bubbles to soothe the pains of rheumatoid arthritis and 15 minutes for a calm water soak to relax the mind and body. Originally, I thought the purchase was an extravagance. It's not - at least not for me. I did a little calculation of the cost of a daily aide for DH so I could get a much needed rest and attitude adjustment. Amortized out, I figure it was paid for in a few months. I'll gladly take the hot tub over a paid caregiver. It doesn't call in sick or need to be replaced every couple of months. My aunt in Palm Springs has been through 6 of them in the past year. She'd just get one trained and "poof" they were gone.

Comments

• Pat6177
    Pat6177 Member Posts: 442
    100 Likes Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions
    Yay for you! What a great idea!
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    That's great! Does it significantly help with the pain? One of our daughters has a different auto-immune disease, and she just bought one. Hers is to be delivered sometime in June, so she hasn't really had a lot of experience with it yet. She did get to try one out, and said it was relaxing for her.
  • Beachfan
    Beachfan Member Posts: 790
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    jmlarue wrote:
    My aunt in Palm Springs has been through 6 of them in the past year. She'd just get one trained and "poof" they were gone.

Oops. At first I thought you were referring to hot tub(s).  My bad!  My son’s family has had several hot tubs over the years; he swears by them.  An evening soak does wonders for some injuries he brought back from Iraq and Afghanistan.  I have video of the “cousins” splashing and flailing in the hot tub on the back patio while a blizzard rages around them.  Enjoy it!!!

• Gig Harbor
    Gig Harbor Member Posts: 564
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes
    My husband hasn’t used ours in 4 years which is fine by me. I use it 2-3 times a week and it is relaxing. I always imagine that I am at a resort.
  • jmlarue
    The hot soak helps more with the muscles and mobility issues. As hips and knees have lost cartilage, I've begun to walk funny in an attempt to ease the pain. That puts extra strain on muscles and more pain. Truth is, my only option for lasting relief is replacing those joints. Of course, that has to be put on a back burner until I am no longer caring for my DH at home. The hot tub helps temporarily with the RA, but I think the major benefit is those short breaks from active caregiving. It's blessed stress relief from both the mental and physical strain of caring for a PWD in these 36-hour days. I can't enjoy those breaks if it's storming, but I can ignore the rain, light snow, & freezing temps. It's possible I'm experiencing a placebo effect with the tub. Whatever the effect (real or imagined), I feel better in body, mind, and spirit.
  • Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,497
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

So very glad for you! I have wanted one for a few years, DH would just say “I think it’s a waste of money “.  I keep thinking what about me? From your comments sounds like the best thing to get! 

Enjoy!

• jmlarue
    Joydean - My DH used to say things like that for most of our married life. It was never worth arguing about it. Now that he no longer has a clue about our finances, I don't have to discuss it with him and I like that just fine. I've come to the conclusion that Medicaid will be a necessity if I can't get my DH into a VA facility. If that's the case, we'll need to spend every nickel of savings for the spend-down requirement. The only untouchable asset is our house...so I'm spending money on deferred home repairs and improvements while I can. I may be left without a pot to p** in, but I'll have a solid, double-pane, vinyl clad window to throw it out of. They'll need to pry the hot tub out of my cold, dead hands.
  • Rescue mom
    Rescue mom Member Posts: 988
    500 Comments Fourth Anniversary 5 Likes

Lol beachfan, I thought exactly the same thing; that those remarks were about caregivers! It was a real double-take for my eyeballs. But good for you jlarue (I can’t believe what autocorrect wants to do with your “name”

We have a big whirlpool/water jets bathtub (the shower is separate walk-in) and I used to love it. Definitely helped aches and pains, but mostly so relaxing. No sleep problems at all afterwards.

Joydean, you’re a caregiver, and I say you need and deserve one. I second the idea that maybe you can just go ahead and do it now (?) it can be such a pleasure.

Unfortunately ours had a mechanical problem around the time DH Alzheimer’s got bad, and getting it fixed is one of those things I need to get around to…But I think they’re well worth it. A lot of friends had and liked  outdoor hot tubs back in the “good old days”..wow the memories

• CStrope
    CStrope Member Posts: 487
    100 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

We had a hot tub for many years, and about 3 years ago it died and we didn't replace it.  During the start of COVID, I started planning to replace it.  Because of supply chain problems I was told it would take 6-8 months to get one!  I should have just ordered it then, but that timeframe seemed ridiculous so I didn't.  

Jump forward to now, and I still don't have one but I miss it terribly.  My DH has never liked it, so it was always my place to de-stress.  We live outside of town, so every star and jet was visible during the night hours.  I stopped at the hot tub store and decided it was time....I was finally going to order one.  When I told my grown daughter my plans, she told me I would be wasting money and if I wanted to de-stress I should go for a walk.  I realize it is not her decision to make, but her comments are in my head now, so I have not gotten one.  When we did have one, I used it several times a week, and even more in colder months.

Once I get a few other house projects completed, I am getting my hot tub!!!

• jmlarue
    You go, girl! 2 rebuttals to make to DD: 1. With the hot tub, I get my escape, but remain close enough to respond to a call for help. 2. I can love the hot tub in the rain, snow, and freezing temps. Not so much with walking. It's all about perspective. It's not an expense. It's an investment in my well-being.
  • FTDCaregiver
    FTDCaregiver Member Posts: 40
    10 Comments First Anniversary
    Great!  I got one too, helps me decompress and helps with my neuropathy as well.  DW still shadows me pacing around our covered patio, but I have an outdoor TV so I'm busy chilling watching a good flick.
  • jmlarue
    FTDCaregiver - more good reasons for a hot tub!

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more