Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

ASSISTIVE TECHNOLOGY

I have a Alexa speaker and smart plug in one room, Google echo min another.

I am thinking of getting a good hub max, Google device with a screen for kitchen. I think it will help LO to see the weather, date, time and watch tv etc. I can watch the recipes as I cook!

DH doesn’t see date on his iPhone, I watch or calendar despite me practicing with him daily!

Before, spending money, I would like to know if anyone has this gadget, if so,  has it helped?

Any other devices that helps Dementia patients?

I know he won’t be receptive to wearing a bracelet, in case he wanders off ( he hasn’t reached that stage yet) his iPhone is always with him and I have find my phone on! I thought of getting a bracelet from Alzheimer’s association.

Glad to join this group of experienced people, thank you all!

now, if only they would come up with a  magic pill that would make Dementia go away!

Comments

• dayn2nite2
    dayn2nite2 Member Posts: 1,132
    Eighth Anniversary 1000 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes
    If you are looking at devices, please don't buy thinking he will be helped by them.  Buy them because they help YOU.
  • Gig Harbor
    Gig Harbor Member Posts: 564
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes
    If he doesn’t see the date on the devices he has I doubt if any other device will help. Practicing daily won’t help. I have been there and done that and once my husband has lost an ability nothing will bring it back. I still get frustrated even though I know he can’t help it.if he could, he would. He would love to be his former self. We have to adapt to a steadily declining ability and things happen quickly. My husband never got lost walking until the day he did. He was never able to walk alone again. This site will be a great help in learning techniques.
  • jmlarue
    jmlarue Member Posts: 511
    100 Comments Second Anniversary 5 Likes
    The problem seems to be that Alexa is new technology and, as such, has no place in DH's memory banks. Early in this disease I would prompt DH to ask Alexa for answers to easy questions, but the process just couldn't stick with him. I use Alexa extensively for wake up alarms, daily reminders, and calendar events. He really doesn't pay attention to the alarm or reminders and he can never remember how to shut her up. I had seen white boards in the rooms and common areas of nursing homes and memory care centers where staff wrote the day, date, and reminders on holidays or such. I thought about doing that, but a friend who worked in one such facility said most of the residents don't get anything from it. They seem to regard it as just another decoration on the wall.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more