Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Bowel Movement during the Night

Judi57
Judi57 Member Posts: 61
Sixth Anniversary 10 Comments

This morning when I pulled the covers back from over DH, the telltale smell of a bowel movement.   My DH is immobile, so he wouldn't have been able to get up.  When I turned him over at 2 a.m., all was okay.  He didn't remember anything, and it is my belief he slept through it.  This has happened once before, but the doctor believed it was his new medicine which was changed.  

Last night, he had some greasy food.  I think that could have been the cause since normally that isn't something I fix him.  

I checked with his doctor.  She says it might be the beginning of bowel incontinence.  Does it really come on that suddenly when on Monday he had a normal BM and knew he had to go.  He only spends about 5 hours out of bed, so I'm sure another incident will be while he's in bed.  

I hate to think this is the beginning and makes me cry to know I have to adapt to another possible change.

Can anyone give me some insight?

Comments

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Judi, I'm sorry. When my wife first began to be incontinent, she didn't realize that happened. This was not something that happened with any frequency, just occasionally. Now it's maybe 3 times a week, and it started sometime last summer.
  • RIM
    RIM Member Posts: 22
    Third Anniversary 10 Comments
    I have my elderly father get flushed with warm water, using the Brondell 1400, prior to going to bed and after he gets up in the morning, which solves that particular problem. Fortunately.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more