Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Thanks for the support

My DW passed away at home in hospice care on Sunday and I wanted to take just a moment to thank everyone on this forum for support, encouragement and information. I only posted a few times because usually when I would start to respond to a post I would find that someone else had already said what I was thinking.   Guess I'm just slow at the keyboard!

One odd thing about my DW's passing I'd like to note. The coroner called today and said that since she fell and broke her arm almost 3 months ago, and the doctor and hospice both noted that the trauma from that no doubt accelerated her Alzheimer's, the death certificate will show her death as Accidental. I kid you not. My daughter just talked to someone else who lost a loved one to Alzheimer's and his death certificate showed Malnutrition as the cause of death. He had stopped eating (as did my DW) in the final stage. I only mention this because it leads me to wonder how many Alzheimer's deaths across this country are not being recorded as such. How much higher would the incidence of Alzheimer's be if medical examiners and coroners actually listed death as being from Alzheimer's? I wonder.

Anyway, with the incredibly compassionate help from our local hospice, my DW was able to stay at home throughout our 6 year journey into Alzheimer's. She died very peacefully.

Once again, my thanks to all here and I wish you the very best on what is a long and demanding journey for all concerned.

Comments

• 60 falcon
    60 falcon Member Posts: 201
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Likes

I'm sorry Mike. I wish you well going forward.  

And you make an interesting point, I bet the reported number of Alzheimer's deaths is probably not accurate at all.

• Jeff86
    Jeff86 Member Posts: 684
    Fourth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Deepest condolences to you, Mike.  Wishing you peace in the weeks and months ahead.  

Excellent point about the likely under-counting of deaths from Alzheimer’s—it’s even worse than what we all think!

• Phoenix1966
    Phoenix1966 Member Posts: 198
    Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

I’m sorry for your loss.

My grandmother died from Alzheimer’s(or a mix of dementia, but we did not have an autopsy). However, her cause of death was listed as senile degeneration of the brain with protein calorie malnutrition as another contributing cause. No sign of dementia anywhere on the death certificate. 

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/dementia-is-often-overlooked-as-a-cause-of-death

• Pat6177
    Pat6177 Member Posts: 442
    100 Likes Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions
    My deepest condolences on your wife’s passing. I’m glad you had hospice there at the end to support you. May your memories of her give you comfort over the coming days.
  • Mint
    Mint Member Posts: 2,678
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Mike I’m so sorry for your loss of your DW.
  • Joe C.
    Joe C. Member Posts: 944
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Mike, My condolences on the loss of your wife. May you find some peace in the days ahead.
  • harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,364
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes
    NW_Mike-

Please accept my condolences on the passing of your dear wife. 

That is an interesting conversation. Did you get a sense that the coroner was asking for permission to list it as an accidental death? My mom got a call from the gerontologist who was affiliated with the MCF where dad lived a few days after his death to discuss her thoughts on what should be on his death certificate. It was as if he was offering her the opportunity to sanitize things which sort of surprised me.

HB
  • toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Mike I mourn your loss. This is so hard. I'll be praying  for comfort as you continue your journey. 

I would guess the numbers for Alzheimers death would be much higher if it was reported as the cause. 

• Davegrant
    Davegrant Member Posts: 203
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Likes 25 Care Reactions
    Thanks for sharing and sorry for your loss.
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Mike, I'm sorry for your loss. May you find strength and peace in the coming days.

• Marie58
    Marie58 Member Posts: 382
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments
    Mike, I'm so sorry for your loss. May the Lord comfort you and bless you with strength and peace in the days ahead.
  • Bob in LW
    Bob in LW Member Posts: 91
    Second Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Care Reactions
    Mike, I join the others here in expressing sympathy for the loss of your DW.  Wishing you all the best in coming months and years.
  • LadyTexan
    LadyTexan Member Posts: 810
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Dear Mike. 

I am sincerely sorry for your loss. May God watch over you and comfort you and your loved ones. God bless you sir.

-LT

• Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,497
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Mike, so sorry for your loss. I pray you can find comfort in remembering all the good things you and your wife enjoyed before. Take care of yourself now. 

• elainechem
    elainechem Member Posts: 153
    Legacy Membership 100 Comments 25 Likes 25 Care Reactions
    Mu husband died in February of 2020, just weeks befit COVID-19 became a thing. He died of Alzheimer's. That's what his death certificate shows. He had a seizure, fell, and severely injured both shoulders 8 days before his death. The medical examiner had to review his case before signing off on it, but they determined that the fall was not a proximate cause of his death. The seizure was simply a sign that his brain had neared its end.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more