Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Cruise report

My dh and I were able to go on our April 2020 cruise last week. A little background: In March of 2020 when the cruise was cancelled, there had been no mention of any confusion and our experience with Alzheimer's related only to our grandmothers. We were both working and suddenly working at home, back to back on our computers in the living room.

Now that we were able to go, things are very different. What I love most on a cruise is dining--multicourse meals of fine foods in amazing surroundings. What I learned was that dining is intellectually complex. DH had trouble reading the menu, making decisions even with support, but mostly his attention span was inadequate for the process and he was too restless to wait for the food. After the first day we dined at the buffet. He was able to return independently to our table every time but once.

We could go walking from the ship, but only in a straight line--he wasn't comfortable having the ship out of sight or being in an unknown place. He did enjoy the ports and excursions.

One day I took a nap and he left the cabin without me. He was unable to make it back independently, but a staff member helped him back "home." I think he was embarrassed, and he never tried going out independently again.

All in all, it was more like being a caregiver than it was like a cruise, but it was more like a cruise than it was like being at work, so still enjoyable and worthwhile. He had a wonderful time and is shopping for what we'll do next year. :-\

Comments

• Pat6177
    Pat6177 Member Posts: 442
    100 Likes Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions
    Yay for you, sandwichone123! I’m glad you were able to enjoy the cruise and get a break from work! It’ll be interesting to see what vacation your DH comes up with for next year!
  • Marie58
    Marie58 Member Posts: 382
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments
    I'm glad it went as well as it did!!
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    I'd say that qualifies as a win. Good for you.
  • sandwichone123
    sandwichone123 Member Posts: 748
    500 Comments 100 Likes Third Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions
    Right? I'm interested to see what he comes up with, but not committing to anything very far out. When I look at what changes in a year, it's hard to consider planning anything.
  • Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Next year, try an Alzheimer's Cruise.  You will be with other family caregivers with planned, appropriate activities.  

Iris

• Stuck in the middle
    Stuck in the middle Member Posts: 1,167
    1000 Comments Fifth Anniversary 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

Color me green with envy Sandy.  We haven't spent a night away from home in five years!  Thanks for sharing your good time.

I didn't know there were Alzheimer's cruises, Iris.  Thank you for the tip.

• sandwichone123
    sandwichone123 Member Posts: 748
    500 Comments 100 Likes Third Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions
    I've never heard of an Alzheimer's cruise. Of course, when we were planning this one there was no reason to consider such a thing. Now I'll have to look into that--wouldn't it be wonderful if we could all get together and hang out with delicious food prepared by someone else while our loved ones were enjoying activities without us?
  • Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,497
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    So happy for you! Glad you got to enjoy your cruise.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more