Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

MC placement is exhausting

We found a personal assistant who helps with MC placement making the process much easier, that being said this business has it all backward. Went to Several MC centers and finally found one we felt would be engaging and friendly plus a good reputation. Went thru all the hoops, turned over DW to new pallative Dr filled out all the papers, put in deposit waiting for a room, then and only then will they do an assessment. After all that they said maybe not a good fit we may be to engaging for DW. 

WHAT! After all the work, paper work changing Drs now you say maybe not a good fit. This is crazy, why not do assessment in the beginning, why wait after all is done and then say oh so sorry. Makes me mad its all about money, cant do assessment first because if you dont come here then we wasted our tine and money doing an assessment. So better to emotionally drain you and have you put a deposit down and fill out hundreds of pieces of paperwork than us lose out on nurse doing a 45 minute assessment. Urggggggggg!

Comments

• Marie58
    Marie58 Member Posts: 382
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments
    ChrisVoorhis wrote:

After all that they said maybe not a good fit we may be to engaging for DW. 

Am I reading this right? You want engaging activities for DW and they might be too engaging?? Does that mean their activities are too hard for a PWD?? Are they 'forcing' residents to do these activities?? My DH was never into the activities for the most part at his MC. No problem. He could stay in his room, pace, go in the courtyard, watch a movie, sit in a common area, do part of an activity.  
    About the assessment, when we placed DH they already knew him since he had gone to their day program pre-covid, so they knew he was ready and a good fit. They pretty much knew what level he was at for his service plan and pay level before he moved in, so they did his assessment after he moved in to make it official. Not sure if that's normal or if it was because they already knew him. And it was mid-covid so that may have made it different.  Sorry this is so frustrating for you. 
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Chris, I'm so sorry. It shouldn't be like that. My daughter and I went to a MC facility yesterday to get a few questions answered. They have a very good reputation, and is actually the only one we've visited previously, and we're both sold on the facility. They have an ALF and a MC in the same building, and there are different options for rooms. They have a rather short (?) waiting list, but there is no deposit required to get on the list, and they will do an assessment just by the potential customer asking for it. Nothing is required financially until you are ready to move in. My daughter and I know of four people who have had family members using the facility. Every one of them highly recommend the facility. I expect a call from them Monday for an appointment for assessment to see where she would best fit in.
  • Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

Chris, I am sorry that happened to you.  When we were looking for a good Memory Care, the facility intake staff actually came out and assessed my LO before any decisions were made.  Only after they accepted us, did we need to make a deposit.  No change of physicians was required at that time.

What an unfortunate situation; one more lesson learned and perhaps even a warning that with that facility, one would need to stay on their toes for other unusual matters that could occur.    If this does not turn out to be a good fit, I wish you a much better experience as you continue on.  

J.

• Crushed
    Crushed Member Posts: 1,444
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions
    DW's MC Required a prepayment payment of the first months  months costs to do the assessment which was completely refundable if she was not accepted. Alternatively They actually offered a 2 week "Respite care" and would do the assessment during the two weeks. 

Seemed reasonable  

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney